Cedric Mullins 2023

interloper

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hyde is playing him lower in the batting order to take some of the pressure off him needing to steal.     He is not 100% healthy at this point from what I have seen.  But then again neither are Hays or Adley.

I doubt stealing has anything to do with it. His OBP is solid but not great. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.mlb.com/news/most-exciting-players-we-could-see-in-2023-mlb-playoffs

MLB.com:  1 player from every contender we can’t wait to watch this October

Orioles: CF Cedric Mullins
There aren’t a lot of teams on which the 28-year-old Mullins would be considered a graybeard, but the Orioles are one of them. He’s as grizzled a vet as anyone -- a true O's lifer -- and he’s absolutely impossible not to cheer for. He’s the heart of this team, and no one here deserves a long postseason run more than he does.

When I read the article title, I expected to see Gunner here.  But I actually love this writeup.  Would love to see Mullins have a great postseason .

Cedric has had some huge moments this year, and that was one of them.  

By the way, did anyone notice that he ball he caught and concerted into a DP was almost identical to the ball O’Hearn hit that fell in for a 2-run single?   The one Mullins caught was hit 74.6 mph off the bat and went 254 feet.  The O’Hearn hit was 72.6 off the bat and went 247 feet.  No doubt in my mind that Mullins would have caught that O’Hearn hit if he’d been playing CF.

Since Cedric returned to the team on August 11, he’s hit only .218/.256/.411, but boy has he made his hits count.  He has 6 homers and 26 RBI in only 31 starts/37 games.  Among those six homers:

8/13: After making a HR-robbing catch in the bottom of the 9th in Seattle, he hit a 2-.run homer in the top of the 10th that stood up for the W in the bottom half.

9/2: Down 2 runs in the 4th against Arizona, Mullins hit a 3-run homer to give us the lead.

9/11: Down 5-4 in the 5th against St. Louis, Mullins hit a grand slam to put us up 8-5.

9/18: Down 7-5 to Houston in the 9th, Mullins hit a 3-run jack to give us an 8-7 lead that stood up for the win.

Not to mention the game-winning sac fly in the 11th to beat Tampa 5-4 last Sunday.

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 3

8/13: After making a HR-robbing catch in the bottom of the 9th in Seattle, he hit a 2-.run homer in the top of the 10th that stood up for the W in the bottom half.

Comment: I believe that game saving catch, which Baumann promptly gave back with another HR, and then in the tenth inning he hit a HR foul and then hit it fair, is perhaps the greatest 2 half innings I've ever seen in baseball. This guy , who seems like a very quiet, low key person, delivered one of the most impressive  sequences in recent memory...and he's done it in a lot of other situations this year...brilliant defense, HR's in the clutch...No, he's not our best hitter, or even anything close to our best player...but he's maybe the most clutch player we have...the guy is gold...and on top of that, he's a rare Oriole "lifer" who has been through and played through horrible times...and seen the great resurgence...Bless this player...no matter what happens this year..

6 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Comment: I believe that game saving catch, which Baumann promptly gave back with another HR, and then in the tenth inning he hit a HR foul and then hit it fair, is perhaps the greatest 2 half innings I've ever seen in baseball. This guy , who seems like a very quiet, low key person, delivered one of the most impressive  sequences in recent memory...and he's done it in a lot of other situations this year...brilliant defense, HR's in the clutch...No, he's not our best hitter, or even anything close to our best player...but he's maybe the most clutch player we have...the guy is gold...and on top of that, he's a rare Oriole "lifer" who has been through and played through horrible times...and seen the great resurgence...Bless this player...no matter what happens this year..

X1000 love me some Mullins.

If there was anyone who could play a passable CF at the MLB level, this is the off season to trade Cedric. He is Arb2 and a FA in 2026. He's at his maximum value and is in his age 28 season, (he turns 29 on Oct. 1). He's a 3 bWAR player who doesn't have the OBP to hit leadoff ( 2023=0.318, Career=0.326). His calling cards are speed and defense with a bit of power mixed in. While the power is nice, the speed and defense are not likely to age well. 

I know it is not a popular opinion, but I would shop him in the off season. I think, however, that until Bradfield is ready to hit at the MLB level we will see Mullins remain in an Orioles Uniform.