Cade Povich 2023

Getz

On 5/23/2023 at 1:57 PM, RZNJ said:

He’s no TOR starter without a couple more ticks on the fastball.

On 5/23/2023 at 1:59 PM, Can_of_corn said:

The stats indicate he'd also need to improve his command.

Did anyone think he was a potential TOR? I think his upside is a middle of the rotation starter if his command and endurance improves. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Did anyone think he was a potential TOR? I think his upside is a middle of the rotation starter if his command and endurance improves. 

I thought Elias called Povich a potential TOR after he traded for him. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

think the bluntest way I can put this is that relief pitchers are more leveraged at the trade deadline in terms of their value sometimes by the teams,” he said. “You’ve got a team like Minnesota … that are battling back and forth for the division lead. They needed bullpen help. We’ve got a tremendous bullpen and a deep bullpen and guys that can step in. And if we’re able to get four pitching prospects, particularly Cade Povich is somebody that we’re very, very high on internally, and think we’ve got a possible front-of-the-rotation starter and a guy that’s going to be in the mid-minors here before the end of the year. And there’s other ways to build bullpens, and we’ve just got to be opportunistic and smart and do good scouting and do good coaching the way we’ve done and try to backfill Jorge. It’s not going be easy.  

24 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

think the bluntest way I can put this is that relief pitchers are more leveraged at the trade deadline in terms of their value sometimes by the teams,” he said. “You’ve got a team like Minnesota … that are battling back and forth for the division lead. They needed bullpen help. We’ve got a tremendous bullpen and a deep bullpen and guys that can step in. And if we’re able to get four pitching prospects, particularly Cade Povich is somebody that we’re very, very high on internally, and think we’ve got a possible front-of-the-rotation starter and a guy that’s going to be in the mid-minors here before the end of the year. And there’s other ways to build bullpens, and we’ve just got to be opportunistic and smart and do good scouting and do good coaching the way we’ve done and try to backfill Jorge. It’s not going be easy.  

"possible." I'm assuming that's an Elias quote, and if so, of course he's trying to say the return is great. Povich would need several steps to be taken before he could be considered a potential TOR candidate. 

Either way, he needs to develop more consistent command and endurance though we know the Orioles don't develop endurance in the minors. 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Still following his “every other start” pattern.  

Odd numbered starts: 20 IP, 18 ER

Even numbered starts: 20 IP, 2 ER

Very weird.  

It's bizarre, he has been much better at home than on the road (6 ERs in 18.2IP vs 14 ER in 21.1 IP), but its still really strange how he seesaws to such extremes.

20 hours ago, Frobby said:

Still following his “every other start” pattern.  

Odd numbered starts: 20 IP, 18 ER

Even numbered starts: 20 IP, 2 ER

Very weird.  

Just a thought, but wondering if he's one of those pitchers who needs more rest in between starts than other pitchers.  If he's good every other start, maybe the bad starts are those where he has a tired/dead arm and then it recovers for the next start where he's good again.  From the photos/videos I've seen, he also looks very slightly built....so maybe he needs to build up a little more strength/endurance too.

On 6/10/2023 at 9:43 AM, oriole said:

What’s going on with Povich? Three terrible starts in a row. 

I was wondering the same thing. And I was looking at Drew Rom and seen a similar pattern over the past 3 weeks. Thankfully Rom's start last night wasn't that bad though. But both of their ERA's have ballooned over the past month.

Thing to bear in mind, he could be working on a different pitch or learning to pitch backward.  He could be told to throw certain pitches in certain counts for no other reason than to develop his secondary stuff.  It’s impossible to judge success and failure for a pitcher in the minors strictly on results as off as that may sound. 

Edited by Punchandjudy
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Punchandjudy said:

Thing to bear in mind, he could be working on a different pitch or learning to pitch backward.  He could be told to throw certain pitches in certain counts for no other reason than to develop his secondary stuff.  It’s impossible to judge success and failure for a pitcher in the minors strictly on results as off as that may sound. 

Povich has a career ERA at AA of 6.01 now, in 17 games. I think you can judge that pretty fairly as deeply underwhelming, even with the gaudy K/9 number. Now, he's a pitcher, which means he could solve something tomorrow and be an ace by next week, but I don't see how his results since he was acquired can be seen as anything but a disappointment to date.

44 minutes ago, deward said:

Povich has a career ERA at AA of 6.01 now, in 17 games. I think you can judge that pretty fairly as deeply underwhelming, even with the gaudy K/9 number. Now, he's a pitcher, which means he could solve something tomorrow and be an ace by next week, but I don't see how his results since he was acquired can be seen as anything but a disappointment to date.

A ballooned .387 Babip and a 3.45 FIP/3.20 xFIP from a 23 y/o in AA with those gaudy K/9 numbers.  I'm still on the wagon.