Shohei's 2023 LA Angels

Just Regular

They may have just lost hot starting rookie Logan O'Hoppe for a bit - second time this week his shoulder has had a stinger or pop out or something following through on a powerful swing.     He looked a lot more strained today than the one a few days ago in Boston.

SS Neto fast tracked to the show 3-for-21 out of the gate.

Edited by Just Regular

Maddon on Brian Kenny's show today gave opinions that Shohei has American-ized enough West Coast bias isn't what it was, and LAA would have to trade him unless things were going super, but I believe Maddon has an Arte and/or Minasian ax to grind.

Shohei as mold breaker - fun tidbit YTD third time through the order, MLB Bats are 0-for-24 against him.

As with any rental of an impending FA good enough for a QO, trade offer has to beat the expected value of a comp pick, though I guess there's some time value to getting your Jordan Westburg now instead of having to draft him in 2024 and develop him until 2027.    LAA still has Trout's early 30's next few years.

14 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Maddon on Brian Kenny's show today gave opinions that Shohei has American-ized enough West Coast bias isn't what it was, and LAA would have to trade him unless things were going super, but I believe Maddon has an Arte and/or Minasian ax to grind.

Shohei as mold breaker - fun tidbit YTD third time through the order, MLB Bats are 0-for-24 against him.

As with any rental of an impending FA good enough for a QO, trade offer has to beat the expected value of a comp pick, though I guess there's some time value to getting your Jordan Westburg now instead of having to draft him in 2024 and develop him until 2027.    LAA still has Trout's early 30's next few years.

They promote aggressively.  He'd be up in 2026 at the latest.

• 1 month later...

Ohtani is having his most insane season yet and the Angels might not even make the playoffs again. They are in the wildcard hunt which is an improvement over their most recent seasons.

Trout might pick it up at some he's having a down season for himself with only an .814 OPS. Which would be his lowest OPS over a full season by .120 points. You can't help but think with Trout's injury history and being 31 years old that his days being the best hitter in baseball are over. Griffey Jr. started to breakdown in his early 30's too.

On 6/16/2023 at 12:56 AM, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ohtani is having his most insane season yet and the Angels might not even make the playoffs again. They are in the wildcard hunt which is an improvement over their most recent seasons.

Trout might pick it up at some he's having a down season for himself with only an .814 OPS. Which would be his lowest OPS over a full season by .120 points. You can't help but think with Trout's injury history and being 31 years old that his days being the best hitter in baseball are over. Griffey Jr. started to breakdown in his early 30's too.

Trouts OPS was around 900 at the beginning of the month but he is having a Mateo-like month of June so far.  He’s just in a bad slump although May was subpar but not terrible.

Griffey still had 6 seasons of an 850 OpS or higher after turning 30, although some of those years were a lot fewer at bats than you would like to see.

Edited by Sports Guy

They were breaking down Trout with heat maps on MLB Network last night - I didn't catch it all but sounded like high and away may have been the hole opening up.    He's an August baby so the Age-31 season is "nice" to him - he'll be 32 soon.

It might be regular All-Star instead of the greatest player you've ever seen is becoming a new normal, though you never know with players as great as he is.    Its just a coincidence this month that Austin Hays is (probably only in our minds) competing with Trout for an All-Star berth.    I think I know where a tie would go for this exhibition.

6 weeks and 3 days to go, and most of the data is in - LAA is wildcard race adjacent at least, so Shohei would have to be really disgruntled with the Org to ask out.

I have wondered following these guys and wherever the rest of their careers wind up if Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout are friends.

7 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

The Angels just put up 13 runs in the 3rd inning in Colorado. 

From r/baseball:

Mike Trout homers.

Brandon Drury homers.

Matt Thaiss homers.

Hunter Renfroe walks.

Eduardo Escobar grounds into a fielder's choice. Renfroe out at 2nd. 1 out.

Mickey Moniak singles. Escobar to 2nd.

David Fletcher pops out. 2 out.

Taylor Ward singles. Escobar scores. Moniak to 3rd.

Shohei Ohtani singles. Moniak scores. Ward to 2nd.

Matt Carasiti relieves Chase Anderson

Mike Trout walks. Ward to 3rd. Ohtani to 2nd.

Brandon Drury singles. Ward scores. Ohtani scores. Trout to 3rd.

Matt Thaiss walks. Drury to 2nd.

Hunter Renfroe doubles. Trout scores. Drury scores. Thaiss scores.

Eduardo Escobar singles. Hunter Renfroe scores.

Mickey Moniak homers. Escobar scores.

David Fletcher grounds out. 3 out.

• Upvote 1

That slacker Ohtani at 1-for-4 has committed 3 of the 10 team outs the Rockies have so far obtained, as the game now in the 4th inning is at 20-0.

Edit - Shohei strikes out to fall to 1-for-5 and get to 4 of the 12 team outs in a 23-0 game going into the bottom of the 4th.

Edited by Just Regular