Will ERod be a target in July?

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

He has 3 yrs @$49M ($18M, $16M, $15M) left after this season. If he opts out DET gets no compensation other than saving salary. He has a 10 team no trade agreement, don't know if we are on the list. My question is, if you traded for him now or at ASB, would/could you get the option to negotiate with him prior to the trade? If yes, then you could sweeten to pot with extension options, signing bonus, etc for him to agree NOT TO exercise the opt out. Is that possible?

Why are people saying this?

It isn't accurate.

The Tigers can hit him with a QO and get a draft pick if he walks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

I went looking to see what compensation they might be entitled to and never saw anything about QO. My bad

It's not a big deal that's just the second time I've seen that comment today.

Having an opt out doesn't automatically disqualify players from getting a QO.  I think someone opted out last year and got hit with one.

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not a big deal that's just the second time I've seen that comment today.

Having an opt out doesn't automatically disqualify players from getting a QO.  I think someone opted out last year and got hit with one.

Does it matter that ERod turned down Boston's QO before going to DET? Is it true you can only be QO-ed once?

Just now, AnythingO's said:

Does it matter that ERod turned down Boston's QO before going to DET? Is it true you can only be QO-ed once?

Pretty sure the rule is you can't be QO in consecutive years and you have to have played for the team for at least a full season.

If I'm wrong I apologize.

Is the fact that he kind of went AWOL for over a third of the season a concern at all?   I guess not if he is a 3 month rental who will exercise his option.  But if you are looking at him as a longer term acquisition, do we know that something like that won't happen again?

[Not saying I'm opposed; just asking the question].

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Is the fact that he kind of went AWOL for over a third of the season a concern at all?   I guess not if he is a 3 month rental who will exercise his option.  But if you are looking at him as a longer term acquisition, do we know that something like that won't happen again?

[Not saying I'm opposed; just asking the question].

It is a big deal.  If I were to invest in him long term I would want to KNOW every little thing that caused him to miss time.  I would want it all.  Details.  You need to know if the risk will be worth it and your talking millions on the line. 

14 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

It is a big deal.  If I were to invest in him long term I would want to KNOW every little thing that caused him to miss time.  I would want it all.  Details.  You need to know if the risk will be worth it and your talking millions on the line. 

OK, but to each, his own. Whatever happened last summer is the only bit of controversy I see out there and there is no talk about it with the DET writers covering the team. If, (AND IT'S A BIG IF) he can't be QO'd a second time (can't tell), or doesn't have to tell DET within 5 days of WS he will opt out (can't tell), then DET's position is weak. They "seem" to have pitching depth but lack offense. They have Nevin and Schoop playing regularly, Cabrerra at DH and Greene and Tork struggling. If we could negotiate to clear the opt out, (maybe sweeten the pot with option years) he doesn't go FA. Does DET say no to Urias/Vavra (3B), Norby (2B), Stowers COF/DH, plus Irvin as a cheap short term SP? That cost is minimal to the current team but you get a guy for 30+ starts, around 4 ERA in 180+ innings, for 3+ years (age 30 now) for the price of Frazier and Gibson.

5 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

OK, but to each, his own. Whatever happened last summer is the only bit of controversy I see out there and there is no talk about it with the DET writers covering the team. If, (AND IT'S A BIG IF) he can't be QO'd a second time (can't tell), or doesn't have to tell DET within 5 days of WS he will opt out (can't tell), then DET's position is weak. They "seem" to have pitching depth but lack offense. They have Nevin and Schoop playing regularly, Cabrerra at DH and Greene and Tork struggling. If we could negotiate to clear the opt out, (maybe sweeten the pot with option years) he doesn't go FA. Does DET say no to Urias/Vavra (3B), Norby (2B), Stowers COF/DH, plus Irvin as a cheap short term SP? That cost is minimal to the current team but you get a guy for 30+ starts, around 4 ERA in 180+ innings, for 3+ years (age 30 now) for the price of Frazier and Gibson.

I like that, but I'd had to move Norby. I'd rather include Kremer or Bradish with Erod taking that spot in the rotation.

1 minute ago, orioles22 said:

Perhaps. I get the feeling Wells will eventually be our best starter.

I think his stamina will lead him back to the BP. Better to be lock down for 75 inn than to struggle to get past 125 inn. Friday he was 95-96 (per the board) to start but settled at 92-93. He needed DPs to get out of Inn 5 and 6 and worked hard in inn 7. IMO 95 pitches is not sustainable for him and this was against a poor offense.