Joey Ortiz 2023

celery

32 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

We've been anticipating 40 man roster issues for years and it's finally here. The number of players we can punt who we don't mind punting to make room for a Westburg or a Cowser is few. 

30 minutes ago, Pickles said:

40 man roster considerations.

Seth Johnson is still on the 40 man. Put him on the 60 day IL. Also, Zimmerman can be removed. 

Just now, waroriole said:

Seth Johnson is still on the 40 man. Put him on the 60 day IL. Also, Zimmerman can be removed. 

I think it's more about optimizing the 40 man.  They'll make the Johnson move when they need to.  They simply don't need to now so they won't.

It isn't "fair" but neither is life.  The guy on the 40 man is going to get the first shot.

29 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I like my backup corner outfielder to have a little more bat than Frazier. I also prefer him to have played 200+ outfield innings in a season more recently than 2017.

To the extent Frazier IF/OF flexibility was a talk up from Elias, etc, this roster change from Vavra (more of an OF, or Glass Half Empty a weak fielder anywhere) to a guy with Ortiz's scouting reports is big.

You'd hope Ortiz is a stronger overall option than Frazier defensively every day, and I'm hyper curious to see if he can replicate his Org-best type EV numbers in the Show, or if there is any kind of adjustment from the AAA readouts.

We won't know until some RHP are faced, but I'm hopeful Ortiz gets Starting 2B run, and the new DH platoon the 60% of the days Adley yields it to anyone else is now Urias/Frazier rather than Urias/Vavra.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

I think it's more about optimizing the 40 man.  They'll make the Johnson move when they need to.  They simply don't need to now so they won't.

It isn't "fair" but neither is life.  The guy on the 40 man is going to get the first shot.

How is this optimizing? It’s not like Westburg won’t need to be added to the 40 man in the offseason. And it’s not like Johnson will pitch this year. Also, I’m not as concerned about fair as I am getting the better player/fit to Baltimore. 

Not really. Other than moving Johnson to the 60 day, the only other potential 40 man removal would be Krehbiel. I’d keep him over Zimmermann. 

Yea not me and Kreihbel almost definitely won’t be claimed.

OHearn or even Vavra likely don’t claimed either.

How is this optimizing? It’s not like Westburg won’t need to be added to the 40 man in the offseason. And it’s not like Johnson will pitch this year. Also, I’m not as concerned about fair as I am getting the better player/fit to Baltimore. 

I probably should have said maximizing assets.  They're not going to jam up their 40 until they have to.

P.S. I'm not sure there is evidence to confirm Westburg is a better play than Ortiz, nor that he fits better.

1 hour ago, Pickles said:

As I was saying in the Westburg thread, it would be uncharacteristic of them to call Ortiz up just to gain a platoon advantage for a couple of days.

I think Ortiz is likely here to stay for a while.

Yup. I think is the primary 2B for now. Frazier to RF. Is it crazy to want to try Mateo in the OF?