Joey Ortiz 2023

celery

4 minutes ago, deward said:

I'll eat one of my hats if Holliday is on this team at any point in 2023. And I'd be very surprised if Mayo or Kjerstad get anything other than a Sept cup of coffee. Cowser taking the job from Hays strikes me as the only realistic possibility here, but that won't happen either if Hays keeps hitting. The Angels aren't dealing Ohtani unless they completely collapse between now and July.

I think Cowser takes the RF job while Hays remains in LF and Santander does more DHing.

11 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Cowser-Hays, Kjerstad-Santander, Mayo-Mountcastle and Holliday-Ortiz are all 1st string changes I could fathom happening in 2023 in the very best scenarios.

Are Hays, Santander and Mountcastle 2nd division starters or more?    I am confident Mullins is more in a way I'm not for any of those others where in the past I'd lumped him in with them as Adley's Early Supporting Cast.

To put it in the ether:

LF Cowser, C Adley, DH Ohtani, 3B Gunnar, RF Kjerstad, 1B Mayo, CF Mullins, SS Mateo, 2B Holliday

Saves Hyde chopping the onion of which sensitive conversation with Hays/Santander/Mountcastle he has to have first.

I expect if dealt Ohtani will return less than say Jordan Westburg, Cole Irvin and Anthony Santander.   That's virtually payroll neutral.    Iron sharpening iron - it isn't just Ramon Urias playing for his most days gig this summer.

I thought this was serious until I saw the name Ohtani…lol

34 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

This seems to be the logical move because of the 40 man. 

Hopefully he gets an opportunity tonight at 2B.

This is the logical move because Ortiz is hitting better than anyone else at AAA and this looks to be temporary.  Bring up the hot hand.

Just now, interloper said:

Very interested to see the lineup. I imagine with Hays out Ortiz is almost guaranteed to be in the lineup.

My guess:

Mateo SS
Rutschman DH
Mounty 1B
Santander RF
Urias 3B
McCann C
Mullins CF
McKenna LF
Ortiz 2B

I was bored an hour or two ago and jotted down the exact same lineup... great minds!

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

If the starter can hold a team to 4 runs over 5 innings, I have confidence we can win the game.

Against who? Good teams?

I may be mistaken but didn’t he start in a big series against the Jays last year or was that Watkins? Either way I remember it not going very well for us.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

How does this look temporary?

Because Hays will eventually be healthy and there isn't much reason to believe Ortiz will be better at the moment than Urias, Mateo, or Henderson.  So, unless you are going to bench Gunnar against lefties, this is likely temporary.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Very interested to see the lineup. I imagine with Hays out Ortiz is almost guaranteed to be in the lineup.

My guess:

Mateo SS
Rutschman DH
Mounty 1B
Santander RF
Urias 3B
McCann C
Mullins CF
McKenna LF
Ortiz 2B

Hyde could go Urias at leadoff. Urias has led off before this year. Big day yesterday. Also, maybe we want to keep Mateo comfortable and out of leadoff. 

However, I’d go with your lineup. Let the boys eat. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Because Hays will eventually be healthy and there isn't much reason to believe Ortiz will be better at the moment than Urias, Mateo, or Henderson.  So, unless you are going to bench Gunnar against lefties, this is likely temporary.

Do you think that he will be sent down after the weekend or just ride the bench?

Technically Hays isn’t on the IL so who do you see coming up if you think Ortiz is immediately sent back down?

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Frazier could assume more of a bench role and Ortiz be more of a starter. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Frazier could assume more of a bench role and Ortiz be more of a starter. 

Ortiz can only play in the infield as far as any of us knows.  Mateo will play every day and is right-handed like Ortiz.  Gunnar is left-handed.  Urias is right-handed, has been great in the field, and hasn't been bad with the bat.  Frazier bats left-handed and is likely to get more starts vs righties.  Where is the space for Ortiz once Hays is back?  There is an open spot because Frazier will be moved to the outfield.