Ortiz down, Stowers up

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, Hays has been a good bat but his defense has cost us.  He also has had some nagging injuries and he has shown throughout his career that he can’t handle 500+ at bats. So even if you want to make the argument that taking him some now “hurts the team”, it likely makes it better long term.

As I said, Mullins would basically play everyday.  Adley shouldn’t be playing everyday.  He has shown little power the last few weeks. Obviously he plays more than most catchers should be he needs more days off.

And as I said, Mateo can play almost everyday right now. The team has been resting him on occasion and that can continue and when he cools down, he can go to playing 3-4 games a week.

If Mateo's playing every day, and Gunnar is playing basically every day, and Urias is playing most days, and Frazier is getting some starts at 2b, then there is no place on this team for both Ortiz and Westburg.  Simply isn't.

You're advocating for something that is literally impossible.  There aren't that many abs to go around.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

In Baltimore.  He's making Santander, even with the slow start, look like Babe Ruth.

For God's Sake, he's hitless on the year.

I like him well enough, and I want to see him get some opportunities, but just acting like he is automatically some upgrade over Santander or Hays is ridiculous.

What are you on about? He’s had four ML ABs and his OPS at Norfolk is .996, for God’s sake. 

Santander, otoh is -0.4 WAR and has a .642 OPS as a ML starter. Not so ridiculous.

Edited by Il BuonO
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Pickles said:

If Mateo's playing every day, and Gunnar is playing basically every day, and Urias is playing most days, and Frazier is getting some starts at 2b, then there is no place on this team for both Ortiz and Westburg.  Simply isn't.

You're advocating for something that is literally impossible.  There aren't that many abs to go around.

Well, Gunnar wouldn’t be playing everyday right now, as I said. I would be resting him vs some lefties. Westburg would get a game or 2 a week at third.

Urias goes to playing part time at most(or battling out with Santander) and Frazier basically never plays. 

Something definitely has to give, I do agree with that.…Adley should and will play less as the days off aren’t so plentiful. Frazier shouldn’t touch the field. Urias is the one guy who may get squeezed but I think injuries and Mateo eventually slowing down will open up at bats for him.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

What are you on about? He’s had four ML ABs and his OPS at Norfolk is .996, for God’s sake. 

Santander, otoh is -0.4 WAR and has a .642 OPS as a ML starter. Not so ridiculous.

Santander hit 33 hrs last year.  Again, the proposition that Stowers is an automatic upgrade over Santander or Hays is not evidenced based.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

Santander hit 33 hrs last year.  Again, the proposition that Stowers is an automatic upgrade over Santander or Hays is not evidenced based.

I do agree with this although you continue to overrate those players.

But there is absolutely evidence that he should be taking at bats away from them. 

And even if you want to take out Stowers, insert Cowser..who upgrades the defense from those guys and perhaps the offense.

1 minute ago, Pickles said:

And one year of HR hitting without looking at the whole picture isn’t evidenced based either. It’s selective rationalization or conformation bias, but you go ahead. Santander is a defensive liability and he looks awful except for a few ABs this year. His speed has declined and yes, Stowers is a better long term solution. 

• Upvote 1

The bottom line is this…there are plenty of at bats to go around to the kids to justify them being in the majors.

No one wants them up here and not playing but there is no reason for that to happen. You just have to be willing to take at bats away from the vets who deserve to have them taken away.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The bottom line is this…there are plenty of at bats to go around to the kids to justify them being in the majors.

No one wants them up here and not playing but there is no reason for that to happen. You just have to be willing to take at bats away from the vets who deserve to have them taken away.

The bottom-er bottom line is... this year is about wins and getting to the playoffs. 

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, Gunnar wouldn’t be playing everyday right now, as I said. I would be resting him vs some lefties. Westburg would get a game or 2 a week at third.

Urias goes to playing part time at most(or battling out with Santander) and Frazier basically never plays. 

Something definitely has to give, I do agree with that.…Adley should and will play less as the days off aren’t so plentiful. Frazier shouldn’t touch the field. Urias is the one guy who may get squeezed but I think injuries and Mateo eventually slowing down will open up at bats for him.

Look, these things will resolve themselves over the course of the season.

Adley will get more days off as the games pile up, allowing more abs for Santander (or whomever) at DH and more opportunities for Stowers in RF and DH.

If Frazier doesn't pick it up, not that he's been awful, he'll lose playing time.  To who becomes the question.

That will depend on Mateo's and Gunnar's performance as well.

This team is the best team we've put together since 2014.  We're winning over 2/3s of our games.

To call what they're doing "mismanagement" simply because they're not doing exactly what you want exactly right now is absurd.  

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

And one year of HR hitting without looking at the whole picture isn’t evidenced based either. It’s selective rationalization or conformation bias, but you go ahead. Santander is a defensive liability and he looks awful except for a few ABs this year. His speed has declined and yes, Stowers is a better long term solution. 

Stowers is a defensive liabilty and has looked awful at the plate this year with the exception of no at-bats.

19-9 on April for best start in franchise history.  Someone is pulling the right levers.  Sure it could all come crumbling down, but for now hard to argue with the team management right now.  Stowers is up and is having success. Ortiz got a taste of MLB.  Frazier & Santander are on notice.   No doubt in my mind Stowers, Ortiz, & one of Westburg/Cowser will be everyday fixtures in the lineup in the near future. 

Edited by emmett16

Just now, Pickles said:

Look, these things will resolve themselves over the course of the season.

Adley will get more days off as the games pile up, allowing more abs for Santander (or whomever) at DH and more opportunities for Stowers in RF and DH.

If Frazier doesn't pick it up, not that he's been awful, he'll lose playing time.  To who becomes the question.

That will depend on Mateo's and Gunnar's performance as well.

This team is the best team we've put together since 2014.  We're winning over 2/3s of our games.

To call what they're doing "mismanagement" simply because they're not doing exactly what you want exactly right now is absurd.  

It’s not that it’s because it’s what I want. That’s a f*cking stupid thing to say.

It’s  wrong because they aren’t playing their best players.

Coloumbe and Cano have been nothing until this year. No one on this site felt they would do anything this year but they have been incredible. I’m not saying to bench them just because I didn’t think anything of them or because they have no track record.  I’m not calling for them to bench Mateo, another guy I haven’t been totally enamored by.

Im calling for them to either bench  or take at bats away from players who are either hurting the team at the plate, in the field or both.

We sit here almost everyday and pat Elias on the back for building a great farm system and we love the young talent that he has acquired and we see all of these guys ready to come up and play and you think it’s crazy to want that to happen?

And these aren’t thoughts that are based on a SSS of this year. These are the same thoughts I had in December. 

We agree that things will take care of themselves and yea, they have a great record Vs an easy schedule.  Again, maybe with these moves, maybe they have 2-4 more wins?  

Last year, the dodgers were one of the best teams in baseball history. They didn’t win the title and felt they needed to make changes despite being one of the best regular season teams ever. Were they wrong for that?  Should they have returned the exact same team? Or should teams, even ones playing well, always look to improve?  Should teams always look to bring in better talent?  

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s not that it’s because it’s what I want. That’s a f*cking stupid thing to say.

It’s  wrong because they aren’t playing their best players.

Coloumbe and Cano have been nothing until this year. No one on this site felt they would do anything this year but they have been incredible. I’m not saying to bench them just because I didn’t think anything of them or because they have no track record.  I’m not calling for them to bench Mateo, another guy I haven’t been totally enamored by.

Im calling for them to either bench  or take at bats away from players who are either hurting the team at the plate, in the field or both.

We sit here almost everyday and pat Elias on the back for building a great farm system and we love the young talent that he has acquired and we see all of these guys ready to come up and play and you think it’s crazy to want that to happen?

And these aren’t thoughts that are based on a SSS of this year. These are the same thoughts I had in December. 

We agree that things will take care of themselves and yea, they have a great record Vs an easy schedule.  Again, maybe with these moves, maybe they have 2-4 more wins?  

Last year, the dodgers were one of the best teams in baseball history. They didn’t win the title and felt they needed to make changes despite being one of the best regular season teams ever. Were they wrong for that?  Should they have returned the exact same team? Or should teams, even ones playing well, always look to improve?  Should teams always look to bring in better talent?  

If Stowers was up all Year & McKenna was down we’d have at least 1 more W :)