James McCann 2023

Spy Fox

Now that we all love McCann, is he a good trade-chip in the offseason for us.....of course, we would likely see a downgrade in the backup catcher position.  Just wondering how folks would feel about him not being here next year if it meant we traded a package that included MCCann for an upgrade to our pitching staff, for example.

Or, is he a keeper/untouchable for one more season unless we can find a viable replacement??

21 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

Now that we all love McCann, is he a good trade-chip in the offseason for us.....of course, we would likely see a downgrade in the backup catcher position.  Just wondering how folks would feel about him not being here next year if it meant we traded a package that included MCCann for an upgrade to our pitching staff, for example.

Or, is he a keeper/untouchable for one more season unless we can find a viable replacement??

Unless there is someone in the minors breaking through the door, I say "no thanks".    I think he's worth the money to have as an above average backup.   

• Upvote 1

I think they should keep McCann. He's a steal at the price we got him for and he seems to have really meshed with the team and culture. Some of his comments about the team have sounded really positive.

Based on Fielding Bible's DRS metric, he's the best defensive catcher in baseball with fewer than 350 innings on the field this season.