ESPN Orioles Article: How the Baltimore Orioles became a contender

Sports Guy

It’s interesting to read what Gibson said about the young kids.

Over the years, I have talked a lot about baseball IQ and how I feel that is underrated. I don’t feel we find ourselves lamenting tons and tons of mental mistakes like we have over the years.

I wonder if that is part of what the team is looking for in players or if it’s just coincidence?

Thanks for posting this. What an encouraging story.  Things are really headed in the right direction. We can quibble with individual moves like Frazier, but the overall job done by Elias in building this franchise up, overhauling the entire development process along the way, is undeniable, and provides hope that this is long term sustainable. 

It’s a great time to be an Os fan. I suspect the bandwagon will see some growth this year. And for those of us who never stopped caring, we deserve this dammit!!!!

😅😁

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s interesting to read what Gibson said about the young kids.

Over the years, I have talked a lot about baseball IQ and how I feel that is underrated. I don’t feel we find ourselves lamenting tons and tons of mental mistakes like we have over the years.

I wonder if that is part of what the team is looking for in players or if it’s just coincidence?

+1 on the article!  

We've heard they place a heavy emphasis on 'character'.  What that means specifically it a bit unclear.  It's easy to just put it down as not getting into trouble, easy to get along with, maturity, leadership, and/or high work ethic. 

I don't see why any team wouldn't look for baseball IQ.  But I suspect we weigh it as a metric heavier than we have in the past.  Seems like Gibson and Stowers would agree that it's not a coincident.

"Getting that hug from him is a really nice feeling. I've been able to work with several different catchers, but when I get to work with Adley, it's like he already knows what pitch I want to throw, and he calls them immediately. So it's great to work with him and I'd be super happy if I got to work with him the rest of my career."