A Realistic Pitching Ace And What It Will Take to Acquire Him

BirdMan

20 minutes ago, doccat said:

Eduardo Rodriguez.  Left-handed, pitching extremely well, and near Ace level.   Give them Stowers, and any 1 of Westburg, Norby, or Mayo.

Maybe Kremer, Mateo/Urias, and Stowers/Norby. Only if he opts in to the rest of the contract or we sign him to an extension. That gives Detroit three starters! EROD is opting out anyways and will not go back to Detroit.

I like Lucas Giolito also.

3 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Maybe Kremer, Mateo/Urias, and Stowers/Norby. Only if he opts in to the rest of the contract or we sign him to an extension. That gives Detroit three starters! EROD is opting out anyways and will not go back to Detroit.

Would you give up Hall, Mateo/Urias, and Stowers/Norby...provided ERod stays with the contract/extension?

2 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

I don’t like Giolito anywhere near as much as Eduardo Rodriguez. Both have post season experience, Eduardo more. But Eduardo has been pitching like an ace this year AND he’s left handed. 

If both are the best that we can do, then I would lean towards spending more on the better pitcher.

to be honest, I’m not really sure how much better Giolito is than what we have now? He’s a similar “5 and dive guy”. Maybe a little better stuff/ceiling, but doesn’t really offer the consistent length that I think we need at the front of our rotation.

2 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Would you give up Hall, Mateo/Urias, and Stowers/Norby...provided ERod stays with the contract/extension?

When is the last time we've seen something like that in ML baseball?

I'm honestly asking here because I think it's really uncommon.  (With guys that don't have no trade clauses)

I don't think ERod is going to decline his option to get traded to Baltimore.

Edited by Can_of_corn

5 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

After having the kind of career year that he is having, why in the world would he not maximize his earning potential this offseason?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm honestly asking here because I think it's really uncommon.  (With guys that don't have no trade clauses)

I'm pretty sure he would only agree to that if additional years/money was added to his contract.  He could say add 2 years/$40 mill to the end of my contract and I'll opt in.  I think pretty much the standard for an in demand player that was traded is the ball is in their court.  I know a few years ago, teams would have a tentative trade dependent on the player agreeing to a contract extension.  I don't think those are very prevalent now.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Don't know.   Maybe he likes the direction the team is going and sees himself as a part of a winner for the next 5 years.  Maybe he doesn't want the spotlight of a NY or LA or other big market.   I tend to agree with what you said, but I'm just throwing reasons out there.  

Just now, clapdiddy said:

Don't know.   Maybe he likes the direction the team is going and sees himself as a part of a winner for the next 5 years.  Maybe he doesn't want the spotlight of a NY or LA or other big market.   I tend to agree with what you said, but I'm just throwing reasons out there.  

I think his willingness level would be even lower than ownership's.

If you could get it done I'd do it since I don't view any of those three highly.

Giolito has had five seasons of 122 ERA plus. EROD has had two. Our current rotation combined has had three season above 122+.
Giolito has made ten starts this year with 8 of them going at least six innings! The two that didn’t make it to six were his first two starts of season!

Edited by Camden Yards
Spelling

13 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

I would! We would have to find a trade partner for Kremer then unless he has options.

EROD

Gibson

Wells

Bradish

GRod

Why would we trade Kremer? Now, I must admit that I am not that high on him as I don't think of him as anything more than a #4 or 4. However, he is still in his pre-arb years and has I think 4 more years of being cost controlled.

If anything we hold on to him, at some point shut down Grayson, and then replace Gibson with Means. I don't want Gibson anywhere near making post season starts. But a post season rotation of ERod, Means, and Wells is at least good to decent.

6 minutes ago, Camden Yards said:

Giolito has had five seasons of 122 ERA plus. EROD has had two. Our current rotation combined has had three season above 122+.
Giolito has made ten starts this year with 8 of them going at least six innings! The two that didn’t make it to six were his first two starts of season!

All great points! But when comparing his season to Eduardo Rodriguez's season, there is really not much of a comparison. If they cost anywhere near the same (given that both will be half season rentals), I know which one I would want and have much more confidence in the post season.

2 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

If he's really all about staying out West, I would guess Seattle probably has a shot at singing him too.

Seattle has the 3rd largest Japanese-American community in the U.S.A. so if that's important to him, he would probably entertain a Mariners offer.