Fangraphs: Whose Contract Extensions Should Teams Tackle with Urgency?

Can_of_corn

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Less of a commitment in terms of both years and dollars.

Well you could argue the opposite.  Get the bigger deals done first and then let the smaller deals fall into place. 

Means is a good but not great pitcher who is now coming off Tommy John.  There’s no world where he is the #1 extension priority for this organization. 

Edited by ArtVanDelay

4 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Well you could argue the opposite.  Get the bigger deals done first and then let the smaller deals fall into place. 

Means is a good but not great pitcher who is now coming off Tommy John.  There’s no world where he is the #1 extension priority for this organization. 

I would.

I don't think Elias would.

Just now, baltfan said:

If they believe in him, I would tragedy Gunnar.  Maybe you get him a bit cheaper. 

Problem is Gunnar is a Boras client.

I don't think Boras is some mastermind but players that pick him as an agent aren't generally cheap to sign.

Fully ready for Adley to walk in free agency, be great somewhere else and wear that teams cap on his hall of fame plaque. 

In 20 years, people are gonna be like “oh yeah, he played for the Orioles,” the way people kinda remember Mussina and Manny as Orioles, the way people kinda remember A-Rod as a Mariner. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Problem is Gunnar is a Boras client.

I don't think Boras is some mastermind but players that pick him as an agent aren't generally cheap to sign.

Agree this is generally the truth but Gunnar could be worried 

1 minute ago, oriole said:

As long as John Angelos is pulling the strings, Adley will be a free agent as soon as he’s able. We should not kid ourselves. Enjoy him while he’s here.

I don't think we let him get to FA and a QO, ME will trade him to replenish the farm before that last year.

The best chance to get Adley on a team friendly extension would by while he is slumping. Of course, this would also create some concern in the Front Office that they are taking some big risk, but that's the nature of the business. As an athlete, Adley has been consistent with his abilities over all levels he has been at across different sports.

As for the conversation about what's most pressing, I would say that Cedric Mullins facing the final years of his arbitration forthcoming, creates a pressing concern for the team too. Cedric is a special talent in center-field. The only concern with extending him will be how much of his speed he might maintain when he gets past his age 30 season.  I can tell you right now that Colton Cowser, as good of a player that he is, will not be a better center fielder than Cedric Mullins. I project Cowser to be more of a corner outfielder.

The problem with this is they all have to be baked into the budget 24/25/26 which is really difficult for Elias, hopefully  this (not cheap ownership) is why the O's were not competitve in free agency.  If you were an elite player (Gunnar, Adley level) would you trust your career (sign or extend) with the Orioles?  I certainly wouldn't prior to the changes Elias has implemented.  You would have to feel this is the best opportunity for you to build to your big contract and I get that vibe from the organization now.   

On 5/9/2023 at 5:32 PM, Aristotelian said:

Adley extension would worry me because he is a catcher. I have to think we already own his prime years. Still it would be a great message to send to the fanbase and he could be a great 1B too. 

The sneaky value candidate might be Gunnar but he would also have the most risk.

I just think Adley is a different level of catcher.  Whether Angelos keeps or sells the O's, extending Adley is the best situation.  O's are just a different team w/ Adley.  An 8 or 9 year deal is a no brainer for me.  If Cohen was the O's owner, Adley would have to say I don't like money.

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

The problem with this is they all have to be baked into the budget 24/25/26 which is really difficult for Elias, hopefully  this (not cheap ownership) is why the O's were not competitve in free agency.  If you were an elite player (Gunnar, Adley level) would you trust your career (sign or extend) with the Orioles?  I certainly wouldn't prior to the changes Elias has implemented.  You would have to feel this is the best opportunity for you to build to your big contract and I get that vibe from the organization now.   

It could be cheap ownership for why the O's were not competitive in free agency - I would never discount that possibility with the Angelos family. 

But even more likely is Elias and Sid are smart enough to have done a deep analysis of players' performance, age, and the success (and mostly failure) of past FA signings to know when the dollars and, more importantly, years cross the line and become a risk not worth taking.  I suspect they would have walked away from the players they were rumored to be interested in even if they had the budget considering the length of the contracts given out this offseason. Overpaying in FA would be out of character considering where they came from and their previous organization's success without being a big player in FA.