Alex Cobb

sevastras

This topic is more of thoughts than anything and I couldn’t find a suitable thread to revive rather than making a new one. 
I watch the Giants because they are my wife’s team. We have reversed rolls because the Giants is to be good and now they kind of suck but have some good players and the Orioles used to suck and have some good players but are now competitive. 
I have watched the last couple of outings from Cobb(including right now). He is currently 100+ pitches working with one out in the 8th. He has thrown a complete game this season and is somewhere around a 2.00 era. 
To get to my point, is he a player that the Os would benefit from having or is the NL/Giants schedule just that bad that he looks so good this year? I lean more toward the latter because he just doesn’t look that amazing but maybe there is something I am missing. 

Maybe we could trade Mateo, Henderson and Holliday for him? 
(I am kidding) I am not even sure I am advocating a trade but find him curious(being a former O) and maybe he could be a trade but would the Os benefit from him or not? 

Just now, ShoelesJoe said:

If we traded for Cobb he'd probably tear a knee getting off the plane at the airport. 

Probably, he is nearly as old as I am. I am just curious about what he has done other than move to a cold damp west coast to be so effective this year and not bad last?  Is there something there other than that? I am not a statcast/advanced metrics guy, everything I see with my eyes don’t believe it would translate back to the AL East. 

2 hours ago, Royle said:

The Orioles paid Cobb $42M for his time here.  And he didn’t win a single game at home.  As bad as those teams were, that’s still a crazy stat. 

If the Wall had been where it is now, he might have won a few.  😉

if you look at his game logs, he had something like 8-10 games at home where he pitched 5+ innings and allowed 1-2 runs yet didn’t get a win.  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The 2018 Rays got a comp pick for losing Alex Cobb to the Orioles.    Pick 1-31 in the 2018 draft was Shane McClanahan.

I firmly believe that if the O's had not forfeited their second round pick in the 2018 draft they would have picked Grenier in the second round instead of the first.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to stop.

I had about that same reaction when I heard it on a broadcast recently.     

Its one of the reasons anytime I think about the need to trade a player who may be QO good or acquire a player who is QO good, I start with Jordan Westburg as a baseline concept.     Not necessarily him precisely, but you get the idea.

I already wonder if Mullins' career may be evolving to a Goldilocks zone where 1/24 (or whatever it will be up to for 2026) might be viable.

Mike Elias will be dispassionate and evaluate Cobb with all the rest as is his job, but man will it be weird if that is the play.