Official Luis Torrens Appreciation Thread

Legend_Of_Joey

Torrens apparently thinks he can get a major league backup job from some team.   We will see if he is right.    If he is not right the O's were willing  to spend 1M in salary for him to play at AAA.   He could be back  if that is the best he can find.

If Adley or McCann are hurt tomorrow and have to go on the IL who takes their place?   Bemboom? Kolo?  Handley?   Torrens is better than any of them.  That is why Elias tried to acquire him and get him to stay in the O's Org.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

Maybe he re-signs with the team, who knows. If not, they took a shot and missed. Some work out, some don’t. So what. Perhaps they did not like what they saw of him and have no interest in him. This may have played out this way for several reasons. 

5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I didn’t watch any of the games, but I’m serious on this part: Did they ever actually show Torrens in the dugout? Can we even confirm he was AT the stadium for any of these games?

Watching on TV, I did see him in the dugout at some point (I don't remember which day). Also Roch said he saw him once in the locker room but he never got to speak to him.

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Exactly. The front office wasted who knows how much money in "cash considerations" (probably around a million dollars) just to acquire the rights to put Torrens in the Orioles organization.

It's wasting Angelo's money and wasteful things like that are why he's going to be stingy and restricted with the budgets. 

So when people complain why they don't spend on big name free agents, it's things like this is why. Ownership doesn't want the front office to waste money just because Ownership made it available.

The O's owe Vavra a bonus for learning to catch to save them from paying 3rd string catchers hundreds of thousands.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

The O's owe Vavra a bonus for learning to catch to save them from paying 3rd string catchers hundreds of thousands.

Vavra certainly is doing everything imaginable to try and provide value for the team. If anything, he's showing them that they should consider him as a valuable depth piece of the team. He's trying to make himself a Swiss Army Knife of professional baseball.

8 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I didn’t watch any of the games, but I’m serious on this part: Did they ever actually show Torrens in the dugout? Can we even confirm he was AT the stadium for any of these games?

They showed Torrens in the dugout sharing a friendly bro-hug with Anthony Santander during one of the away games. (I think it was in Atlanta.) Torrens and Santander are both from Venezuela so they probably already knew each other from the Venezuelan baseball circuit, if not the World Baseball Classic.