Homegrown draft talent

Frobby

The Washington Post ran an article today with a chart of how many players on the active roster of each team were ones that team had drafted.  The Cardinals led MLB with 12, while the Nats snd A’s were lowest with 1.  The O’s were in a 3-way tie for 7th place, with 9.  The list does not include players teams signed as international amateurs, just players who were drafted.  

In the AL East, the numbers are: BAL 9, TOR 7, NYY 6, TBR 5, BOS 3.   

The article also breaks down what year the players who are with their original team were drafted. 2017 looks to be the most common, with about 38 players.  Going back in time from 2017, there ate at least 10 players on their original team every year going back to 2013.   Before that, there are 13 players drafted between 2002 and 2012 who are with their original team (some of whom, like Zach Greinke and Charlie Morton, had stints with other teams before returning to their original team.   

Seems like the Orioles’ number is likely to go up in the next few years.  But it’s interesting to see that MLB teams generally don’t rely primarily on talent they drafted.   It shows how important the trade and FA markets are.  
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/05/16/jake-irvin-nationals-homegrown-players/

• Upvote 2

Didn't we go from like Cal Ripken to Jerry Hairston without drafting and developing a single every day position player?  That's really amazing when you think about it.

I'd add waivers to your list of important acquisition pieces as well Frobby.  It's very easy to dismiss a guy claimed off of waivers (I do it all the time) but good teams find those cast-offs and turn them into valuable pieces even if only for a short time sometimes.

• Upvote 1

I makes sense to some degree considering the economics of the game.  But I'd also say we're at the point where the international signings are as just as important (maybe more so) as the draft.  

It'll be interesting to see how we're labeled over the next few years.

6 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I makes sense to some degree considering the economics of the game.  But I'd also say we're at the point where the international signings are as just as important (maybe more so) as the draft.  

About 30% of major leaguers were international signings. 

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Understandable response from an Oriole fan.

That's a big part of why some of us found it so infuriating that they were effectively not participating in that market.

Did Koji Uehara mean nothing to you? 

;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Aglets said:

Did Koji Uehara mean nothing to you? 

;)

He was an international free agent, as were Chen and Kim.  To me a free agent is a free agent.

I don't group them with players that are subject to the International slot money.

And Koji was great.  Was super stupid of the Rangers to leave him off their playoff roster.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Understandable response from an Oriole fan.

Just Oriole fans?  Any particular type of Oriole fan?  Or all Oriole fans and only Oriole fans?  I think you're misreading this particular Oriole fan.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's a big part of why some of us found it so infuriating that they were effectively not participating in that market.

Whenever I see a comment like this (here, work, family...) I think "Yes and?"  Is there a problem with the current engagement internationally?  Or is it just a living in the past complaint?  Brighter hope for tomorrow in part because we're engaged there now right?  Is there something we can do better moving forward?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

The Washington Post ran an article today with a chart of how many players on the active roster of each team were ones that team had drafted.  The Cardinals led MLB with 12, while the Nats snd A’s were lowest with 1.  The O’s were in a 3-way tie for 7th place, with 9.  The list does not include players teams signed as international amateurs, just players who were drafted.  

In the AL East, the numbers are: BAL 9, TOR 7, NYY 6, TBR 5, BOS 3.   

The article also breaks down what year the players who are with their original team were drafted. 2017 looks to be the most common, with about 38 players.  Going back in time from 2017, there ate at least 10 players on their original team every year going back to 2013.   Before that, there are 13 players drafted between 2002 and 2012 who are with their original team (some of whom, like Zach Greinke and Charlie Morton, had stints with other teams before returning to their original team.   

Seems like the Orioles’ number is likely to go up in the next few years.  But it’s interesting to see that MLB teams generally don’t rely primarily on talent they drafted.   It shows how important the trade and FA markets are.  
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/05/16/jake-irvin-nationals-homegrown-players/

Don't forget waivers and Rule 5. I would guess that is a big source for our 26. Wells, Mateo, Urias, Coulombe, Perez. Would be interesting to break down trades between prospects and MLB talent. Depending on whether you are on the Cano or Manny side of the trade makes a huge difference as an indicator of a teams dev strategy.

Just now, btdart20 said:

Just Oriole fans?  Any particular type of Oriole fan?  Or all Oriole fans and only Oriole fans?  I think you're misreading this particular Oriole fan.

Whenever I see a comment like this (here, work, family...) I think "Yes and?"  Is there a problem with the current engagement internationally?  Or is it just a living in the past complaint?  Brighter hope for tomorrow in part because we're engaged there now right?  Is there something we can do better moving forward?

I think you are making too big a deal over my comment.

But have at it.

As for the "current engagement" did you not notice my use of the past tense?  The words found and were would indicate that I'm not talking about the present.

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He was an international free agent, as were Chen and Kim.  To me a free agent is a free agent.

I don't group them with players that are subject to the International slot money.

And Koji was great.  Was super stupid of the Rangers to leave him off their playoff roster.

From an O's perspective, Koji was a trade acquisition. 

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Didn't we go from like Cal Ripken to Jerry Hairston without drafting and developing a single every day position player?  That's really amazing when you think about it.

I'd add waivers to your list of important acquisition pieces as well Frobby.  It's very easy to dismiss a guy claimed off of waivers (I do it all the time) but good teams find those cast-offs and turn them into valuable pieces even if only for a short time sometimes.

I remember this being a oft-mentioned in the late 90's/early 2000's.  There was Jeffrey Hammonds.  But he only got more than 400 at bats one time, due to injuries.  

Similarly with pitchers, there was a pretty large gap between Mike Mussina and........Eric Bedard?

53 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Whenever I see a comment like this (here, work, family...) I think "Yes and?"  Is there a problem with the current engagement internationally?  Or is it just a living in the past complaint?  

You apparently don’t know can_of_corn very well.  🤣

• Upvote 1