Gunnar Henderson's Career Start Compared to Cal Ripken Jr's

Billy F-Face3

7 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Big game winning Home Run today by Gunnar. Stay Tuned, folks. We haven't even arrived at the good times, yet.

Loved his enthusiasm after he crossed the plate.  Still calling Melanie “ma’am” in the post game interview.  Nothing to do with statistics but maybe we are seeing the “now relax”  part after the “take a deep breath” part.  

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Gunnar was .659 in March April and .740 in May … June is hot so far .875 in SSS 

I’d say SSS for June is an understatement.  He’s started 3 games.  But the .875 you cited is actually wrong, because BB-ref hasn’t added yesterdays’ games yet.  Make it .273/.333/.818 = 1.151 for June.

• Upvote 1

The .278 BABIP and 30% K rate is what has killed Gunnar so far. I don't know how that compares to Cal's first few months, but if Henderson can get his strike outs down to 20% I think the BABIP will climb and he'll start putting up more Ripken-like numbers. 

I am more concerned about fielding than his hitting. Very few plays seem routine for him, even pop ups. I really don't see him on the left side. If they insist, stick him at one and look for improvement. If not, give him a 1st baseman glove to work with in the off season.

• Downvote 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm going to open up a business and start selling T-shirts that say "F---Face was right'.

Is there a comp you're making beyond that they're both advanced left-side infielders for the Orioles who took a bit of time to adjust to the major leagues before emerging as very good players?

What made Cal Cal was more than that. The unbreakable bond to the organization/city/state that he was born into and continues to pass on. The streak. The leadership. If Gunnar puts up stats for a few years, doesn't bring a title to Baltimore, and then signs with the Rangers to never be seen in Baltimore again, then is there any resemblance to Cal?

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Is there a comp you're making beyond that they're both advanced left-side infielders for the Orioles who took a bit of time to adjust to the major leagues before emerging as very good players?

There’s no reason to think he was making any other point.  However, I’m hopeful that Gunnar will play on more Orioles World Series winners and playoff teams than Cal did, regardless of how long he ultimately stays in Baltimore.  Cal did play a pivotal role on our last WS winner, but it’s not like the Cal Era was largely defined by winning.  The O’s made the playoffs 3 times in his 21 year career.   

• Upvote 1