Bullpen Game?

Mr-splash

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Irvin is starting today in Norfolk. He would be the logical guy to take Grayson's spot and he was lined up to pitch today. The only reason I can think is they hate Irvin and wanted to take advantage of an off day to rest the bullpen .

He hasn't been down for the requisite 15 days and a pitcher can't replace a position player who goes on the IL to get around that anymore

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Never mind, last time I checked Irvin was listed but Rom is pitching. Is Irvin hurt?

Irvin pitched the first game of Norfolk’s DH tonight and pitched well.  But he can’t come up yet because he hasn’t been down 15 days yet.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

There are several things I don’t like.  First, I wouldn’t have sent Rodriguez to the minors if I knew this would cause us to throw a bulllen game the next time his start was coming up.  There’s nothing he could have done in a start that would have taxed the bullpen more than this.   Second, if you’re going to do a bullpen game, why have Akin throw only one inning?   He threw multiple innings many times last year.  He wasn’t great in the first inning today, but he wasn’t awful either.  Since you’ve already burned him, try to nurse at least another inning out of him and avoid using one of the other guys if possible.  And third, why didn’t we just use Hall (who could have skipped his turn last night), Rom (who’s starting tonight) or Zimmermann (who is on 5 days’ rest)?   We’ve got an overworked bullpen so why work them more?   Just stupid.  

And by the way, not one of Akin, Voth, Perez or Baumann stepped up.   Poor job by all of them.  

Akin threw 25 pitches in an inning. That’s a lot for a starter and it’s a crap ton for a reliever.  They likely didn’t feel that bringing him back out was the best move and they are probably right.

7 hours ago, Mr-splash said:

Is any media member going to have the balls to ask Hyde who came up with brilliant idea and then issued the order? And if Hyde gives a non answer kind of an answer will he/she restate and ask again? 

Every single one of Brandon Hyde's press conferences is a non answer kind of answer. I rather enjoyed hearing Freddi Gonzalez for a change after that one game Hyde was away. Hyde acts like he's always afraid of what to say and he dilly dallies around every question. Freddi was well spoken and answered the question without hesitation on what he was thinking when he was asked about his mindset on when was the right time to pull the starting pitcher.

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s almost as if the Os BP had been really good all year and the organization trusted that they could get through a game and keep them in it.

The horror!

I didn't realize Irvin wasn't eligible yet. Yeah, off day coming up, bullpen day with Akin opening makes sense. The players didn't deliver.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I didn't realize Irvin wasn't eligible yet. Yeah, off day coming up, bullpen day with Akin opening makes sense. The players didn't deliver.

We have lauded the pen all year. Talked about the gaudy stats, how well they have pitched etc…for one game, the Os put the games in the hand of that same pen and people cry about it because the results aren’t there.

For such a group of smart baseball fans, this board can be really dumb sometimes. It’s one game out of 162. You are going to lose games. Some game soon, there will be a pitcher making 8 figures that will pitch in a game, pitch poorly and his team will lose.  It happens.  

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

We have lauded the pen all year. Talked about the gaudy stats, how well they have pitched etc…for one game, the Os put the games in the hand of that same pen and people cry about it because the results aren’t there.

For such a group of smart baseball fans, this board can be really dumb sometimes. It’s one game out of 162. You are going to lose games. Some game soon, there will be a pitcher making 8 figures that will pitch in a game, pitch poorly and his team will lose.  It happens.  

The bullpen just didn’t execute. Good plan. 8 runs off Bieber. No reliever looked good. At least they all were terrible in the same game. 

Lots of things in hind site could or perhaps should have been done.  All of them could have been mitigated by any single one of the pitchers not having a terrible day.  It happens.  I have no doubt that if the Orioles could replay the day they would.  

At the end of the day, this is all due to Grayson pitching poor enough to send down.  In hind site, he could have  hardly been worse yesterday.