Bench Mountcastle, start O’Hearn

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Kjerstad and Mayo are problems for next year.  As to Mountcastle, if he can return to his usual form, he can still play a role on this year’s team.  But he has to prove at AAA that he’s remotely ready to do that.  

Kjerstad is sparing no effort to make himself a 2023 problem. 

On 6/9/2023 at 10:07 PM, Billy F-Face3 said:

No, he's been playing a little bit of first base in the minors. Major difference. He's mostly been playing Left Field and Right Field. He hasn't played any first base in about a week and that was only for a half inning after a pinch runner made the outfield too crowded.

If Kjerstad is going to be dubbed the future first baseman, that will hold him down in the minors alot longer because a player should actually play / gain experience of the position you're asking to play before he's thrown into it in MLB.

Mayo is the future at 1b, Kjerstad is the future in RF. 

3 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Looking at the O's line up tonight my thought was there's the AL future for the next five years.  We need a couple of pitchers and turn this gang loose.  It must have been ike this when the Big Red Machine came together.

Why just 5?  Including this season we have 5 years of club control for Adley, Gunnar 6, Cowser 6+. Grayson 6. Kjerstad, Mayo, Holliday, etc…, all at 6+. 

Extensions will happen at some point. The Wall and winning will start to lure some FA SP. 

6 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

Looking at the O's line up tonight my thought was there's the AL future for the next five years.  We need a couple of pitchers and turn this gang loose.  It must have been ike this when the Big Red Machine came together.

Well if Adley becomes Johnny Bench we will all be pleased 

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Mountcastle has to be a non-tender candidate, right? Does he have any trade value?

Unless he totally bombs out the rest of the season, I'd find it hard to believe that they would give up on him yet. He's going to have to show some signs of life though.

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Mountcastle has to be a non-tender candidate, right? Does he have any trade value?

Assuming he doesn't get demoted he's going to be arb 1 coming off a down year.  He's probably looking at O'Hearn money.

Folks here are oddly down on Mountcastle.  You would think, going by comments here, that he was one of the worst players in the league.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Assuming he doesn't get demoted he's going to be arb 1 coming off a down year.  He's probably looking at O'Hearn money.

Folks here are oddly down on Mountcastle.  You would think, going by comments here, that he was one of the worst players in the league.

If he qualified, he'd be 127th out of 151 in OPS. He's also a poor defensive first baseman. So far this year, somehow, he's been worth 0.2 WAR. I think it's fair to say he's one of the worst players in the league. Replacement level first basemen aren't exactly exciting players

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

If he qualified, he'd be 127th out of 151 in OPS. He's also a poor defensive first baseman. So far this year, somehow, he's been worth 0.2 WAR. I think it's fair to say he's one of the worst players in the league. Replacement level first basemen aren't exactly exciting players

Now look at O'Hearn's career numbers.  Look at how much rope he got in KC.  Look at how he got a contract with the O's for 1.4M after putting up those numbers.

Folks are being ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In his last 15 games at the MLB level he has been (9-for-57 with only 2 XBH, 2 BB and 20 K) and even after 2 hits yesterday, he has a sub-.600 OPS in AAA. I get it, it's a small sample size in the midst of a slump, but he's been truly awful. When he's on, he is very good, but he's way too streaky and until he gets hot (and O'Hearn cools down), he should be in AAA. As for non-tendering him, I think he just gets squeezed off the roster. Hopefully, he starts to rake in AAA and comes back and hits well in the second half. In that case, he's tradeable, but I think Kjerstad and/or Mayo eventually push him off the roster (unless they're both traded).