Carter Young 2023

Frobby

I decided to start a thread on Carter Young now that he’s reached the .700 OPS threshold, pulling himself out of a huge early hole.  In April, he had a .464 OPS, followed by .640 in May.  In June, though, he’s at 1.237, including 2 for 3 today with 2 walks, raising his overall OPS to .700.  Hopefully he can remain hot over the next month or so and earn a promotion to Aberdeen.  

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

With 2 hits last night Young’s OPS is at .921 since 5/14.  A solid month of production.   22 ks & 14 BBs in 109 ABs.  Will be curious to see what he does in his next 100 ABs.  

Agreed on the seeing how the next 100 PAs look!  I liked the pick as a late round overslot bet on talent over stats.  But talk about a Harvey Dent/Two Faced season!  I'd love to see some EV or HH type data to get a better idea of which cherry-picked split to believe.

4/6-5/13:  In 121 PAs he posted a .152/.289/.212.  With a .233 Babip.

From 5/14-6/15:  109 PAs posting a .340/.431/.489.  But that comes with a .429 Babip.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Agreed on the seeing how the next 100 PAs look!  I liked the pick as a late round overslot bet on talent over stats.  But talk about a Harvey Dent/Two Faced season!  I'd love to see some EV or HH type data to get a better idea of which cherry-picked split to believe.

From 5/14-6/15:  109 PAs posting a .340/.431/.489.  But that comes with a .429 Babip.

In those first 121 PAs he had 40 Ks and 20 BBs.  He's cut the K's almost in half. 

Edited by emmett16

22 hours ago, btdart20 said:

I'm glad they took the gamble pick on him, but I think he was always the backup plan. When they couldn't sign Nolan McLean, who had a good-not-great Junior season this year at Oklahoma State, and also couldn't sign Andrew Walters (who was again dominant at Miami in his Junior season this year) they threw everything left in the piggybank at Young. Would I have preferred to have McLean and/or Walters? Perhaps, but I'm just happy they spent the full draft budget, even if it was on a wildcard pick. I'm glad to see the kid starting to find some success, I'll be honest I didn't have a ton of hope after his first season and the start of this season.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Young has cooled off a bit, down to .653 OPS after getting up to .700 mid month.  But, not ice cold.  He’s still got time to earn a promotion to Aberdeen. 

It's probably a lazy comp, but I see shades of Cadyn Grenier in terms of draft profile and underperforming offense. (I know they were in completely different rounds but Young was talked about as a potential first/second round pick at some point and his bonus puts him up there).

1 minute ago, CharmCityHokie said:

It's probably a lazy comp, but I see shades of Cadyn Grenier in terms of draft profile and underperforming offense. (I know they were in completely different rounds but Young was talked about as a potential first/second round pick at some point and his bonus puts him up there).

That and Grenier was viewed as a pretty big reach when drafted.

I think Grenier is a fair comp.  Both are seen as having good gloves.  Grenier was seen as a guy with pretty good college numbers whose offensive game might not translate well in pro ball.  Young was seen as a guy who had disappointed offensively in his 2nd/3rd year of college but who might have sone upside a pro team could unlock.  It hasn’t really happened yet, but it was understood this might be a multi-year project.  

Maybe another comp is Joey Ortiz, who struggled in his first year of pro ball (.612 OPS) but learned to hit at the higher levels, and overcame the same labrum sergery that Young had.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Went to the Ironbirds game today.   Looks like Young was just promoted to high A.....but to my eye he was the most impressive looking player today.  Consistently made good contact....stole a base.   I know his Delmarva numbers arent amazing so ill be interested to see if he keeps it up.

55 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Went to the Ironbirds game today.   Looks like Young was just promoted to high A.....but to my eye he was the most impressive looking player today.  Consistently made good contact....stole a base.   I know his Delmarva numbers arent amazing so ill be interested to see if he keeps it up.

I saw he got off to a hot start at A+.  Guess he just needed to be challenged :) There is a reason they gave him a big bonus.