Kolozsvary out, Ortiz back

interloper

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

All of this makes sense.  Now we have an optionable arm at the back of the bullpen.  Current players in the minors that can rotate in our Gilaspie, Vespi, Watkins, and Zimmerman.  Hall???

They must have been really down on Denoyer.  

I don't think Perez is long for this team, but then again it's not like we have a ton of relievers in AAA/AA.  Maybe Darwinzon and Wandisson Charles.  

Zimmermann pitched a complete game shutout in Norfolk last night, so he may be back at some point. Possibly would be better than Cionel.

35 minutes ago, bublooo said:

Westburg has to be frustrated he has earned this chance no offense to Ortiz but Westburg Is I thnnk  the better player

I think it tells you the organization prioritizes defense first. The question is, is the discrepancy in defense between the two players bigger than the one on offense?

If so, Ortiz may be the better player.  This guy CAN hit. He’s no Mateo. 

Edited by ChuckS

1 hour ago, bublooo said:

Westburg has to be frustrated he has earned this chance no offense to Ortiz but Westburg Is I thnnk  the better player

The Orioles may feel that Westburg is the better player too...and that's why they are not shuffling him back and forth to Norfolk and are not going to promote him until there are plenty of and steady at bats for Westburg. Just a hypothesis, but it could be correct. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Same here. Like what was that all about?? [/Bewildered]

He literally happened to be in the club house on the taxi squad. They didn't decide to IL Mountcastle until a few hours or even less before game time. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Orioles may feel that Westburg is the better player too...and that's why they are not shuffling him back and forth to Norfolk and are not going to promote him until there are plenty of and steady at bats for Westburg. Just a hypothesis, but it could be correct. 

Yeah, or, more likely, they don't really rate them in this hierarchical way, and really appreciate the ability of both players but are moving Ortiz around because he's on the 40 man and because he has different qualities than Westburg.

Anyways, with a .944 OPS to Westburg's .966, as a far superior defender and someone who can play to a high level a position Westburg really can't at the MLB level (SS), it's kind of weird why people question so much the idea that Ortiz might be the better player. 

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Same here. Like what was that all about?? [/Bewildered]

I like Elias, but some of these scrap heap player moves I just don't get especially when you know there's no way the player will stick. The third catcher on the 2023 Orioles is quickly becoming the red shirt crew member from Star Trek.

Hyde was asked about carrying a 3rd catcher again and he thought about it but then said no I don’t think that is something we will do much with the guys we have but you never know if with injuries and things it might have to happen for a short term.   

• Upvote 1