Let's talk about Jordan Montgomery

Just Regular

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Elias likes rentals, they aren't under contract next year.  That's a feature, not a bug.

Anyway, you need to accept risk.  The stars are not going to align to give the O's a cost effective impact player with years of team control for peanuts.

If you sit there waiting for the best deal you end up sitting out.

If you're suggesting it's more risk to trade for a player that has an extra year or two prior to free agency -- because they would cost too much in prospects -- I see your point. 

I just think the Cardinals will want pitching in a trade, and I don't think the O's trade should trade any of their better pitchers for a couple months of Jordan Montgomery.  The Orioles have a bad track record trading promising young pitchers (though Buck Showalter isn't here anymore to pressure the front office to make a win now trade).

11 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Not to rain on your post but I don't see Elias trading value for a rental. 

I'm guessing he'll look for something more like one of Mateo / Ortiz / Urias plus one of Stowers / Prieto to MIA for Trevor Rogers and Steven Okert. That gives him his rotation guy and BP help. Both are '27 FA's. Okert is running a 39% K rate right now. 

Miami has the third best record in the NL and now the first wildcard. Will they be buyers or sellers? Rogers is still hurt but getting close. 

31 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

If you're suggesting it's more risk to trade for a player that has an extra year or two prior to free agency -- because they would cost too much in prospects -- I see your point. 

I just think the Cardinals will want pitching in a trade, and I don't think the O's trade should trade any of their better pitchers for a couple months of Jordan Montgomery.  The Orioles have a bad track record trading promising young pitchers (though Buck Showalter isn't here anymore to pressure the front office to make a win now trade).

Since Elias has been in command how many players has he acquired that have more than two years guaranteed on their contracts?  

How many players have guaranteed contracts for next season?

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How many players have guaranteed contracts for next season?

Only ones I can think of is McCann, and then we have to define "garunteed". Because Givens and Voth have contracts for next season, but the come with an option. Voth's contract is weird because it's like it's part arbitration and part option+2024 season. Not really sure about Voth's contract. But everyone else on the roster is either seasonal arbitration or minor/major league minimum deals.

26 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Only ones I can think of is McCann, and then we have to define "garunteed". Because Givens and Voth have contracts for next season, but the come with an option. Voth's contract is weird because it's like it's part arbitration and part option+2024 season. Not really sure about Voth's contract. But everyone else on the roster is either seasonal arbitration or minor/major league minimum deals.

Looking at Cot's, Givens has a $6 million mutual option for 2024.  It's $2 million if the club declines the option, $1 million if Givens declines the option.  Voth has a club option for 2024, $2.45 mill, but not buyout.