Unswept

Filmstudy

12 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

St Louis from 1942-1942 went 125 series.

Next is 1903-1905 Giants that went 105.

Third spot is in reach. 1922-1924 Yankees hit 83 without being swept. 

The Cardinals record is a little misleading or looking at it more in depth not as impressive.  They played much longer series's back then often.  They lost the first 4 in a series and then played a double header Sunday which they split.  So they lost 5 out of 6.  It harder to get swept when you play longer series.  

• Upvote 2

On 8/11/2023 at 7:36 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

The 42-44’ Cards dominated a watered down league because of WWII. Completely changes my opinion on Musial. I had always thought he was underrated. Now it’s the opposite. 

We’re in good company with a few of the most dominant teams of all time. 

Another huge advantage that those Cardinal teams had going for them is that they played longer series back then compared to today. That gave them a much better chance to extend a streak. For example, that 1943 Cardinals team lost the first four games of a series to Pittsburgh, yet they were still able to keep the streak alive because it was a six game series and they won the final two games.

On 8/11/2023 at 7:36 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

The 42-44’ Cards dominated a watered down league because of WWII. Completely changes my opinion on Musial. I had always thought he was underrated. Now it’s the opposite. 

We’re in good company with a few of the most dominant teams of all time. 

I'm not sure how that changes your opinion of Musial. In a 22-year career, Stan played three years during the war, 1942-44. He was in the Navy in 1945. He was the NL's MVP in '43 and came in fourth in '44, but those three years were far from his best years. 

So far as I can remember, I've never heard anyone say Musial was overrated. I think the "underrated" label, which I've seen often, comes from the fact that he was a quiet guy who rarely said anything very interesting (besides, apocryphally, telling the pope at an audience, "Your Eminence, I'm a Cardinal). He lacked the flair, the power, and the press coverage of the player he is most often bracketed with, Ted Williams, and during his post-war career the Cardinals took a back seat to very good Dodgers, Giants, and later Braves teams.

Maybe I'm prejudiced because I saw Musial a lot toward the end of his career, and he seemd to hit about .800, all doubles, while during that time I saw very little of the great AL players. 

1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Basically in the modern era we have the record. I wonder what the record is post, say, 1960 or 1970. 

3 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Any time you pass the 1922-1924 era Yankees for anything, you've done something special.

What this streak shows to me is that this team does not go on long losing streaks. Even the 1997 Orioles, so far the most successful Orioles team in the last 40 years, had a losing streak of six games.

Avoiding losing streaks is a good way of accumulating a gaudy record.

• Upvote 1

Bringing the Unswept information current through the win over the Angels on 9/4/23:

It has now been 84 series (presuming Angels series is completed as scheduled) since the Orioles have been swept in a series of 2+ games.  The last time it occurred was 5/13-15/2022 at the Tigers.  Since that time, they have played series of:

5 games: 1

4 games: 15

3 games: 62

2 games: 6

1 game: 3 times (lost 2 of 3 of those single games)

Assuming each of the next 2 games are played as scheduled, the Orioles will reach 266 games without being swept.

Considering only the series of 2+ games, if the games were each coin flips, the chance to avoid a series sweep over that time would be approximately 1 in 60,166.

When the next game at Anaheim is completed, the Orioles will officially pass the 1922-24 Yankees for the longest unswept streak in AL history (currently tied at 83).

The 3 longer streaks in NL history:

1942-44 Cardinals: 124

1905-09 Cubs: 115

1903-05 Giants: 105

Edited by Filmstudy
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

The 3 longer streaks in NL history:

1942-44 Cardinals: 124

1905-09 Cubs: 115

1903-05 Giants: 105

Where are you seeing the 1905-09 Cubs with a streak of 115? I've seen four different articles naming the top four streaks and they aren't on any of those lists.

24 minutes ago, hutchead said:

Where are you seeing the 1905-09 Cubs with a streak of 115? I've seen four different articles naming the top four streaks and they aren't on any of those lists.

It's actually the 1906-09 Cubs and it came from the Orioles game notes (they say they are quoting Elias).  Link:

https://img.mlbstatic.com/mlb-images/image/upload/mlb/ghot6q9irbon7cx13wbg.pdf

I just verified the calendar length of the streak from 5/31/06 through 4/29/09.  I did not count the number of series or games in each, but that's the span.

Edited by Filmstudy