Unswept

Filmstudy

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What about the playoffs though?  🤦‍♂️ 

Personally, that’s why I don’t like this stat, but others can. 

While I agree; it's a regular season stat.  Winning streaks never carry over to post season.  Stats from post season don't carry over into regular season stats.  714 is a well known number for Babe Ruth HR;s right?  Well he also hit 15 in the playoffs that aren't considered part of that number.  

Regardless, I do kinda wish this "streak" would end (even though I don't want it to actually end because it means they'd lose a minimum of two games) because it always makes me think about the one time we DID get swept.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

If they lost to the Nats last night they’d just move to goalposts to “haven’t been swept in a series of three games or more.”

Good point. The “streak” feels more like streaks on your undies after getting swept in the only series that’s mattered in a decade. Orioles essentially s*** all over themselves that series. But due to technicalities MASN chooses to overlook those games. It’s farkakte.

22 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

Good point. The “streak” feels more like streaks on your undies after getting swept in the only series that’s mattered in a decade. Orioles essentially s*** all over themselves that series. But due to technicalities MASN chooses to overlook those games. It’s farkakte.

No, the streak they’re on is a real thing.  But regular season stats don’t count in the postseason, Cal’s consecutive game streak didn’t include any postseason games, Pete Rose’s career hit total didn’t include postseason games…I agree in spirit with what you’re saying but the postseason is separate. 

• Upvote 1

Maybe Ben was just leaning into supportive professional comportment sharing a booth with Melanie, but even he was getting into this coincidence in the late innings last night.

The redemption arc for this thing is if we can talk about it after a parade, or at least a decent tournament run.

I do like the wartime Cardinals being near the top around when the major league club was bearing the fruits of Branch Rickey having grown the farm system.    Rickey moved from the Cardinals to the Dodgers after 1942, and Wikipedia just taught me the Dodgers GM opening for 1943 was because Andy MacPhail's grandfather enlisted.

Larry MacPhail would get the Yankees gig when he returned.

No idea why, but I'm so tired of hearing about this. It doesn't mean jack. Losing the game last night because Kimbrel blew it would have been a tougher pill for me to swallow than this streak ending.

I wish it would end because I'm tired of hearing about it. This team is good enough for it to go on a lot longer, too, so that makes it even worse.

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Isn’t it technically a 4 game series 2 home 2 away ;) 

I dig the streak.  To me it just stands for consistently playing baseball at a high level. I’m not gonna lose any sleep when it gets snapped but it’s pretty cool while it’s intact. 

Agreed on all points.

59 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Isn’t it technically a 4 game series 2 home 2 away ;) 

I dig the streak.  To me it just stands for consistently playing baseball at a high level. I’m not gonna lose any sleep when it gets snapped but it’s pretty cool while it’s intact. 

Fully agreed. Getting swept sucks, so I'll gladly take them not getting swept in the regular season for as long as they can manage. I've seen this team get swept enough over the years, they can put off the next one for as long as they want.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spleen1015 said:

No idea why, but I'm so tired of hearing about this. It doesn't mean jack. Losing the game last night because Kimbrel blew it would have been a tougher pill for me to swallow than this streak ending.

I wish it would end because I'm tired of hearing about it. This team is good enough for it to go on a lot longer, too, so that makes it even worse.

"Man, I wish these guys would just get swept already. Their refusal to go on an extended losing streak is really ruining my fan experience."

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Maybe Ben was just leaning into supportive professional comportment sharing a booth with Melanie, but even he was getting into this coincidence in the late innings last night.

The redemption arc for this thing is if we can talk about it after a parade, or at least a decent tournament run.

I do like the wartime Cardinals being near the top around when the major league club was bearing the fruits of Branch Rickey having grown the farm system.    Rickey moved from the Cardinals to the Dodgers after 1942, and Wikipedia just taught me the Dodgers GM opening for 1943 was because Andy MacPhail's grandfather enlisted.

Larry MacPhail would get the Yankees gig when he returned.

Didn't the pre-war Cardinals play something like seven game series making it harder to get swept?

We broke the record last year if you only look at modern scheduling with 2, 3, and 4 game series.

It will make the whole thing even more special if we can keep this up longer than teams who did it in 7 game series.

Edited by ChosenOne21

4 minutes ago, deward said:

"Man, I wish these guys would just get swept already. Their refusal to go on an extended losing streak is really ruining my fan experience."

Like a lot of folks on here, you put words in my mouth. Good job.