Orioles To Designate Spenser Watkins For Assignment

RVAOsFan

18 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

So now they have 4 catchers on the 40. I don’t see how Bemboom is superior enough to Godoy to make this move, unless they feel like McCann will be out longer than they anticipated and want a lefty bat.

I wonder if Elias blocked Kolosvary’s number…

Bemboom is superior defensively and with the pitchers from what I have read.  Can't hit but that is not what the O's are focused on apparently.

Edited by wildcard

23 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Super 2 is definitely past us

Is it? I thought it wasn't sure and it might be in late June? Honestly, I'm never good at knowing those dates so it would not surprise me. 

Either way, this team should not be running O'Hearn out to RF and while Hicks has been very good since he's been an Orioles, I don't think he should be the everyday right fielder over Cowser after Mullins returns. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Is it? I thought it wasn't sure and it might be in late June? Honestly, I'm never good at knowing those dates so it would not surprise me. 

Either way, this team should not be running O'Hearn out to RF and while Hicks has been very good since he's been an Orioles, I don't think he should be the everyday right fielder over Cowser after Mullins returns. 

It’s never been this late…I don’t think it was ever as late as even last week.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, this may be what they say but it’s factually wrong. There is plenty of playing time for both of them if they are actually interested in putting the best and highest upside team out there that they can.

They don’t have to play 6-7 games a Week to justify being up here.

Right.  Especially with the way this team loves the righty/lefty matchup thing, there are plenty of opportunities for them to play 4-5 times a week.

I don't currently think there's room for both Ortiz and Westburg without seriously cutting into the playing time of Mateo.  Which I'd be perfectly OK with, but I truly think they see Mateo as a core piece.

All roads lead back to Frazier lol.

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Right.  Especially with the way this team loves the righty/lefty matchup thing, there are plenty of opportunities for them to play 4-5 times a week.

I don't currently think there's room for both Ortiz and Westburg without seriously cutting into the playing time of Mateo.  Which I'd be perfectly OK with, but I truly think they see Mateo as a core piece.

All roads lead back to Frazier lol.

If they STILL see Mateo as a core piece, then I seriously have to start questioning their judgement.  His playing time NEEDS seriously cut.  

8 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

If they STILL see Mateo as a core piece, then I seriously have to start questioning their judgement.  His playing time NEEDS seriously cut.  

I think they see the speed and defense and are willing to give him more time to snap out of the slump. He has shown some signs recently that things could turn around.

But you have to think that time is not on his side right now.

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think they see the speed and defense and are willing to give him more time to snap out of the slump. He has shown some signs recently that things could turn around.

But you have to think that time is not on his side right now.

I suppose it depends on how you define 'core piece'.  If you are saying as a defensive replacement, pinch runner, guy off the bench with an OCCASIONAL start, then sure, sign me up.  But someone starting 5+ games a week...that time is over IMO.  He's shown his cold spells are way too long, his hot spells are way too short, and he's just overall not good enough and consistent enough with the bat to justify keeping him as a starter.  

17 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I agree with you, but Elias specifically mentioned him a few weeks back on the broadcast, and he still plays just about every day.

4 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

I suppose it depends on how you define 'core piece'.  If you are saying as a defensive replacement, pinch runner, guy off the bench with an OCCASIONAL start, then sure, sign me up.  But someone starting 5+ games a week...that time is over IMO.  He's shown his cold spells are way too long, his hot spells are way too short, and he's just overall not good enough and consistent enough with the bat to justify keeping him as a starter.  

Oh I agree. No one in their right mind should put him in the same category as guys like Adley, Mullins, Bautista and Gunnar. 

We currently have a MI that has a combined 1.1 fWAR and it’s dropping, not improving. I don’t see how anyone is ok with that when we have elite level, legit prospects ready to play right now.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Its pretty simple.  Elias wants Cowser and Westburg to play everyday and there is not enough playing time for that to happen with the O's.   

They promoted Ortiz and he hardly plays.

Would that imply that Elias doesn't think as highly of Ortiz, given that he doesn't seem to care if he plays every day?

4 minutes ago, deward said:

Would that imply that Elias doesn't think as highly of Ortiz, given that he doesn't seem to care if he plays every day?

I think that might be true but that Ortiz is n the 40 man probably means as much or more. I think ME doesn't want more than 1 rookie struggling at a time on the MLB club. It's Ortiz's time in the barrel, I hope he gets the chance to show his glove plays at all 3 positions at least, even if his bat doesn't so far.