Povich vs McDermott

Sports Guy

The Os acquired some talented pitching prospects last deadline. The best may be Seth Johnson but we need to see how he bounces back from his TJ surgery,

2 of the guys they also got were Chayce McDermott and Cade Povich.

Povich has gotten the headlines but is he the better pitcher?

Both get a lot of Ks and both walk too many guys.  I feel like McDermott gets overlooked within our system and most seem to believe he will just be a reliever.

Which pitcher do you like more?

McDermott leads the Eastern Lg in BAA but he’s a year older and I like Povich from the left side a little better, so I’ll go with him if you’re asking 10 years from now, which has had the more valuable career. 

Anyone know what option years are remaining for each of these 3 guys? Are they each out of them after next season?

Good question.  I saw both pitch last year when they were at their absolute worst.  I saw McDermott’s Bowie debut in which he threw 3.2 innings and allowed 3 homers, walked 6 and gave up 8 ER.   I also saw a game where Povich piggybacked behind a Grayson Rodriguez rehab start and gave up 4 ER in 0.2 innings, giving up 3 hits and 2 walks.   So, needless to say, neither made a good impression on me then.  On the other hand, I saw Povich in at least one spring training game this year, and maybe two, and he looked quite good.  

What I remember about McDermitt’s outing, other than the wildness, was that his curve ball embarrassed hitters several times but he also hung a couple that were belted for long home runs.  So, consistency with that pitch, which can be very good, is a big key for him.  He’s still walking too many guys but he’s proved hard to hit (5.1 H/9) and isn’t giving up many gopher balls, so that’s progress.  Just looking at his game logs, he has allowed 3 earned runs once, 2 ER four times, 1 ER five times, and 0 ER three times.  

Povich has been far less consistent, being dominant sone days but wild and.very hittable on others.  

I think Povich has more upside, but McDermott has been more consistent, so I’m inclined to go with McDermott.  

• Upvote 3

I see McDermott as a setup/closer type with the high 90's fastball and hammer curve.

I see Povich as a starter with the 3 pitch mix, including changeup but it's hard to see his future with his current inconsistency. 

I like McDermott’s athleticism. I have not seen much video this year, but he was a little too much effort to be a starter in the long term for me. And his change up needs to improve from last year. Without a better change up, probably a reliever. 

Povich is not as physical as McDermott, but still a loose and athletic guy. A five pitch mix, but needs to add more strength in his lower half.

If I had to pick one, it would be Povich. It is a bit of a toss up for me. Both could pop in the next year or two, but neither one really seems close to being ready any time soon. 

I think both are MLB caliber pitchers.  

I'll take the younger guy with the higher K%, lower BB%, higher GB%, who seems to be having some 'bad luck' with Babip, strand rate, and ERA (as related to FIP/xFIP).  That guy also happens to be a LHP who could play up in OPACY.  But consistency...  

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I see McDermott as a setup/closer type with the high 90's fastball and hammer curve.

I see Povich as a starter with the 3 pitch mix, including changeup but it's hard to see his future with his current inconsistency. 

Basically, this.  

13 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

Povich is not as physical as McDermott, but still a loose and athletic guy. A five pitch mix, but needs to add more strength in his lower half.

If I had to pick one, it would be Povich. It is a bit of a toss up for me. Both could pop in the next year or two, but neither one really seems close to being ready any time soon. 

Agreed on Povich needing to strengthen his lower half.  

Another interesting bit about Povich (and I know I'm really digging into SSS going to this level):  He has struggled in the 1st, 3rd, and a very SSS 5th to the tune of a 1.46, 1.82, and 1.83 WHIP respectively.  That's likely the top of the line-up/better hitters for each of those innings.  The 2nd and 4th are 1.00 and 1.10.  McDermott doesn't have that type of extremes in WHIP.

We're also catching McDermott on a bit of a heater.  22 K vs 4 BB with a 1.84 ERA and 1.02 WHIP in June.  But for a few HRs in May, he's been pretty consistent though.  So maybe it's more than a heater...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, interloper said:

What's the timeline look like for Seth Johnson these days? I haven't seen any updates but he's got to be pretty close to pitching or at least throwing, right?

Probably 3 more weeks before he's able to do anything. Seth says he's targeting August to pitch in some Florida Complex Games. But that is just a goal. Nothing official from management, or doctors or trainers.

Povich has been burned by HR since June. He only allowed 2 in April and May. He allowed 6 in June. 2 in his one July start. He still has a 4.50 ERA with really good numbers. He’s having a really good season with a skewed ERA because of the dingers. 

What I like about our current pitching set up is that these guys can get to AAA and not be rushed. They can really be ready when we call them up. Who knows what happened to Hall.