If the Orioles DFA’d Mateo…

Sports Guy

Mateo DFA  

115 members have voted

1. 1. What would be your reaction if the Os DFA’d Mateo?

• It’s about time!
    • What are they thinking!?!?
    • Wouldn’t really care either way
    • I get it but don’t agree with it

How much value did Mateo really lose after April?  I think ML GM's are generally a smart group and nearly all of them have competent analytics teams.  They probably knew then exactly how much Mateo was likely to be worth and hung a big question mark over that April performance.  If someone is looking for a bench piece that can pinch run or be a defensive replacement (which is exactly what he should be doing here), they might throw some Cash Considerations at us.  I doubt he was ever worth much more than that.

I think he's surely better than he has shown in the last couple of months. I mean, his OPS+ was 84 last year, and that made him a decently valuable player. After the hot start this year he's been way, way worse than that. 

It's just a weird bench log-jam right now with Mateo, Frazier, and Urias. Frazier seems to be getting the most playing time at the moment, but that could change. When Hays is healthy that will make lineup spots more difficult to come by, now that Cowser is up.