Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

1 minute ago, Surhoffan17 said:

I'll just throw this out there. Mike Morgan is a great one for the IG. We had him in 88 and traded him for Devo. There are two others who have played on more teams than him that I am always using. 

Yeah, I have considered "preparing" for the Grid by committing to memory the teams that K-Rod, Morgan, Ken Brett, and Octavio Dotel each played for.   I'm sure I could come up with some mnemonic or something to "learn" that information so I could pull it from my head come grid time.

But that feels like "cheating" or at least goes against the spirit of the Grid.

As a night owl who usually is up a bit past midnight I had gotten in the habit of doing it right after midnight when it came out each day.   The recent change to a 9AM daily release has got me all out of rhythm.   At least that's the excuse I'm using for failing to get 9 the last couple days.

This game has made me realize several things.  

1.  I’m old.   It helps in that I’m familiar with a lot of obscure players from the 60’s and 70’s not necessarily known to younger fans.  It hurts in that my memory has gone to hell in a hand basket. 

2.  I don’t know as much about baseball as I thought I did.  Somewhere along the line, I started focusing more and more on the Orioles to the exclusion of everything else that goes on in baseball.  

3.  There are a lot of baseball nerds out there. 135,000 people have played this game today.  19,451 of them had a perfect grid.  

4.  I’m only third best at this game in my own family, far behind my brother and his son, neither of whom care as much about baseball as I do, but I guess they follow it more broadly, as well as knowing a lot about other sports that I largely ignore.  

5.  I have a lot of time on my hands now that I’m retired.  

6.  There are a crap load of players out there who played for a ton of teams.  For every Cal Ripken there’s hundreds of guys who played for 5+ teams, or so it seems. My empty box today was Angels/Giants.   There were 112 correct answers to that question!

7.  I’m kind of impatient.   If an answer doesn’t come to me in a few minutes, I’d rather take an educated guess than give it more time for a confident answer to pop into my head.  

8.  I’d rather die than answer Pete Rose or Barry Bonds to any question. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, I have considered "preparing" for the Grid by committing to memory the teams that K-Rod, Morgan, Ken Brett, and Octavio Dotel each played for.   I'm sure I could come up with some mnemonic or something to "learn" that information so I could pull it from my head come grid time.

As a night owl who usually is up a bit past midnight I had gotten in the habit of doing it right after midnight when it came out each day.   The recent change to a 9AM daily release has got me all out of rhythm.   At least that's the excuse I'm using for failing to get 9 the last couple days.

That 9 a.m. turnover gives me one less thing to do when I have insomnia.  

57 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t know you were such a savant.  If they make a grid game that just includes the Orioles and their minor league system down to the DSL, I’ll probably do better.  I don’t pay much attention to who’s played on which other teams, so the dual team questions kill me.  

I suspect Moose does a lot of BRef searches before answering.  Like you, I’m an avid baseball fan a longtime Oriole fan who goes back a long way.   This game is not as easy as you think.   My high opinion of my own baseball knowledge, no matter how misplaced, makes me question a 9 of 9 and score of 60 from someone who doesn’t seem to be as baseball nerdy as me.  Just saying!   LOL

Edited by RZNJ
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I suspect Moose does a lot of BRef searches before answering.  Like you, I’m an avid baseball fan a longtime Oriole fan who goes back a long way.   This game is not as easy as you think.   My high opinion of my own baseball knowledge, no matter how misplaced, makes me question a 9 of 9 and score of 60 from someone who doesn’t seem to be as baseball nerdy as me.  Just saying!   LOL

Picking fights over Immaculate Grid now, are you?  😉  I dunno, Moose is nerdier than he likes to let on. 

36 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, I guess it sort of is cheating. I always peruse bbref anyway when something piques my curiosity. But I won't actively research a player to see if he can help me with the grid. At least that's what I tell myself. LOL!

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This game has made me realize several things.  

1.  I’m old.   It helps in that I’m familiar with a lot of obscure players from the 60’s and 70’s not necessarily known to younger fans.  It hurts in that my memory has gone to hell in a hand basket. 

2.  I don’t know as much about baseball as I thought I did.  Somewhere along the line, I started focusing more and more on the Orioles to the exclusion of everything else that goes on in baseball.  

3.  There are a lot of baseball nerds out there. 135,000 people have played this game today.  19,451 of them had a perfect grid.  

4.  I’m only third best at this game in my own family, far behind my brother and his son, neither of whom care as much about baseball as I do, but I guess they follow it more broadly, as well as knowing a lot about other sports that I largely ignore.  

5.  I have a lot of time on my hands now that I’m retired.  

6.  There are a crap load of players out there who played for a ton of teams.  For every Cal Ripken there’s hundreds of guys who played for 5+ teams, or so it seems. My empty box today was Angels/Giants.   There were 112 correct answers to that question!

7.  I’m kind of impatient.   If an answer doesn’t come to me in a few minutes, I’d rather take an educated guess than give it more time for a confident answer to pop into my head.  

8.  I’d rather die than answer Pete Rose or Barry Bonds to any question. 

I am not great at coming up with players from recent years as my focus is, like you, more on the Orioles. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lol baseball nerdy but doesn't know the difference between the Reds logo and the new Cleveland logo.  That's rich.

Throw in Cubs logo and it’s even tougher.  Today I got a .4% on the usage of Ken Boyer and I know you don’t know who the F that even is.   Where I screwed up today, I meant to use Bobby Bonds and clicked on Barry.   No “old” jokes Moose.   Get back to your Baseball Encyclopedia while you play the game!

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lmao Ken and Clete Boyer yet can’t discern the Cubs logo from the Guardians and Reds. 

Logos are not my thing.   Logos are for real nerds.  Not surprised that you are a logo expert.   You probably have every color version of an Oriole Jersey and hat.   Not that there’s anything wrong with that!

There was a Cloyd Boyer as well!

Edited by RZNJ