Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

9/9, 90.

And I was able to fill 8 of the 9 squares with Oriole players.... SO CLOSE to the perfect all Oriole grid!     I feel like I just missed a hole in one by an inch.

Spoiler

Mark Buehrle, Jim Thome, Luis Aparicio

Richard Bleier, RIck Dempsey, Mike Mussina

Bobby Bonilla, Rich Hill, Andy Van Slyke

And I could have gotten the perfect 9 for 9, as there were a few gettable guys for the White Sox/Marlins square:   Derrek Lee and Edwin Jackson.    But they didn't come to me.   Maybe I should have let it percolate in my mind for a few hours before giving up and going with Buehrle.

• Upvote 1

9/9 144

Spoiler

Dave Smith, Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg

Zack Grienke, Pedro Martinez, Davey Lopes

Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Jimmy Rollins

Dodgers/Astros was the last box I had to fill and I couldn't think of anyone other than Greinke, who was the highest at 37%.  I was annoyed that I couldn't think of anyone else such as Don Sutton (who I've used a lot and couldn't remember if he played for the Astros or not) Jeff Kent, Kenny Lofton, JD Marinez and the immortal Jerry Reuss.  Gregg Olson was also an answer.

Jimmy Rollins was 31%.

45 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

9/9 144

Reveal hidden contents

Dave Smith, Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg

Zack Grienke, Pedro Martinez, Davey Lopes

Joe Morgan, Pete Rose, Jimmy Rollins

Dodgers/Astros was the last box I had to fill and I couldn't think of anyone other than Greinke, who was the highest at 37%.  I was annoyed that I couldn't think of anyone else such as Don Sutton (who I've used a lot and couldn't remember if he played for the Astros or not) Jeff Kent, Kenny Lofton, JD Marinez and the immortal Jerry Reuss.  Gregg Olson was also an answer.

Jimmy Rollins was 31%.

9/9, 106.  I didn’t really get a super low score anywhere, but the only place I had the most popular answer was Astros/Cubs.   I was surprised that answer was so popular.

• Upvote 1

I used a “we thought he was gonna be an Oriole” for Hou/Chi 8%

A former O 3B for Was/Phi 1%

Former O OF (played with Brady and Devereaux I believe) for LAD/Hou 2%

HOF from Big Red Machine for Hou/Phi (Moose’s answer) 5%

Well traveled P for Was/Cubs - mostly known for being an A or Dback. 0.3%

WS hero for Nats/LAD 4%

Old timers HOFers for Cubs and Dodgers runs 2% and 1%

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Like Icarus, I flew too close to the sun today.  Obviously I know dozens of .300 hitters in the Hall of Fame, but in my quest for a low score I guessed Lefty O’Doul.  Nope, he’s a .349 lifetime hitter but not in the Hall.  D’Oh!

That’s ok. I confused categories and guessed Jimmie Foxxx for the A’s.  I knew he was in the HOF and played for the Philadelphia A’s.  Couldn’t figure out how I was wrong until I realized that wasn’t even a category.

Yes, it is possible to complete today's puzzle with all Orioles, though I would be amazed if any one could pull it off.   Looking up after the fact, I found that there is only one .300 hitter in the HoF that played for the Orioles -- Vladimir Guerrero.   There is only one 300 average A's player that played for the Orioles -- George Kell.  And Will Clark satisifies the .300 Cardinal that played for the Orioles.  For a Brave Hall of Famer who played for the Orioles:  Hoyt Wilhelm.   For an Astro HoFer that played for the Orioles:  Robin Roberts.  And to satisfy the 4 player blocks, there are multiple guys.   One set would be Bud NOrris (SL/Atl), Jace Peterson (Atl/Oak), Colby Rasmus (Hou/SL), and Miguel Tejada (Hou/Oak).

If you used those all-Oriole solutions you would have 9/9, 19 rarity score.

Me?   I had 8/9, 217.   The only square I was actually able to fill with an Oriole was Miguel Tejada.

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

Like Icarus, I flew too close to the sun today. 

Second day in a row.  I’d filled out 8 of 9 squares, knew an answer for Yankees/Giants, but thought I’d remembered that I’d recently seen a Hall of Famer who’d played for both like 90 years ago, that I figured would get a good score.  Zap!   Wrong, so my grid was 8/9, 123.   Had a good score going until blowing that, though I suspect my “safe” answer to that question would have been pretty popular.