Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

12 hours ago, backwardsk said:

33 today. Pretty sure that’s my personal best. Not sure how I can incorporate this into my performance review.

Got a 32 today a personal best. Also thinking how I can work this into my performance review. I was able to think of some rare choices today like Lee Mazzilli being an all star for the Mets.

image.thumb.png.a0be1b3470aebd0cda5d76044feaa1da.png

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

Got a 9/9, 123 today.  89 points on one answer.   Turns out there were three other possible answers there, none of which would have occurred to me in a million years.   

Meanwhile, over the last several days I’ve gone back and played all the back games.  Out of 181 games, I’ve only gotten 9/9 32 times, and I’ve only scored under 100 8 times.  The lowest was 17 on a fluky easy day. I’ve noticed that a lot of questions are repeating themselves now, so that immaculate grid ratio should start going up.   

• Upvote 1

My hat's off to anyone who had "not George Brett" for Royals Hall of Famer.

The others on the answer key, I had no idea those guys had ever been Royals.

7 squares along I had a rarity still down around 20, and spent a little time trying to do not Bret Saberhagen or George Brett.

I eventually just took the good squares, but my untaken Dennis Leonard guess would have been good.    Kudos to IG for spicing Saturday coffee up with....did Dennis Leonard ever win 20 when I was a kid?    Maybe he did...

8/9 today, 143 score.  The A's 200 hits got me.  It's not Rickey.

Jeremy Giambi, Mike Davis

Wade Davis, Ryne Sandberg, Billy Williams

Hanser Alberto, Alan Wiggins, Miguel Tejada

I didn't think that Miggy could have filled the A's 200 hits in a season square, too.  Should have used him there, should have used Ripken for the Orioles square.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

8/9 today, 143 score.  The A's 200 hits got me.  It's not Rickey.

Had to go back to the Philly A’s to get it. An Oakland A with 200 hits did it on a different row, but I used him up on the Oak/KC player. I used the obvious answer for the Orioles 200. I got 9/9, but you got a better rarity score.

11 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Had to go back to the Philly A’s to get it. An Oakland A with 200 hits did it on a different row, but I used him up on the Oak/KC player. I used the obvious answer for the Orioles 200. I got 9/9, but you got a better rarity score.

Weird, I've got no problem thinking about the Expos when it comes to the Nationals but I never think about any previous iterations of the A's other than Oakland.

The grid is super-easy today so I decided to fill as many squares as possible with players who played for the Orioles.   I was able to put O’s in 6 of the 9 squares and still get a rarity score of 25.   There was one square where I thought I had an Orioles answer but I wasn’t 100% sure, so I didn’t risk it and went with a non-Oriole.  Turns out I would have been correct, and I’m sure I would have gained 5-6 rarity points as well.   One of my other non-answers scored 10%,and my 6 Orioles answers were only 7.4% combined.  Really, this was a grid where a score of 10-12 should have been possible.

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

The grid is super-easy today so I decided to fill as many squares as possible with players who played for the Orioles.   I was able to put O’s in 6 of the 9 squares and still get a rarity score of 25.   There was one square where I thought I had an Orioles answer but I wasn’t 100% sure, so I didn’t risk it and went with a non-Oriole.  Turns out I would have been correct, and I’m sure I would have gained 5-6 rarity points as well.   One of my other non-answers scored 10%,and my 6 Orioles answers were only 7.4% combined.  Really, this was a grid where a score of 10-12 should have been possible.

9/9 with a 16 rarity score.  I tried to use some Orioles, only because I figured my knowledge of team history might help drive down the rarity score.  But really, I just went with who I thought would be rare and didn't want to take too much time.  This is one I'd want to try again and see if I could score lower.

Catfish Hunter, Mike Flanagan, Jim Palmer

Larry Walker, Ken Caminiti, Cal Ripken Jr

Jeff Bagwell, Mike Piazza, Fred Lynn

Flanny was .2%, so was Caminiti.  

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

7/9, 299 rarity score.  Today's one was tough.

Reveal hidden contents

Verlander, Dotel, Chet Lemon

Miss, Mike Morgan, Kent Hrbek

Roger Clemens, miss, George Bell

I got 7/9 310, very close!  For some reason I thought Jack Morris pitched for the Cardinals so I guessed him twice and whiffed on both. DET-STL list contains two guys who are on my "when in doubt guess these guys because they played all over" guys, so I should have just guessed them instead.

There's a good former Oriole for HOU-TOR that will give you a 3% rarity.