Anyone tried the Immaculate Grid game?

Frobby

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I got 7/9 310, very close!  For some reason I thought Jack Morris pitched for the Cardinals so I guessed him twice and whiffed on both. DET-STL list contains two guys who are on my "when in doubt guess these guys because they played all over" guys, so I should have just guessed them instead.

There's a good former Oriole for HOU-TOR that will give you a 3% rarity.

Morris pitched his final couple years for the Jays and maybe the Indians, I think.  I've used him before.

Who's your former Oriole that you're thinking of? 

Spoiler

Steve Pearce?

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Morris pitched his final couple years for the Jays and maybe the Indians, I think.  I've used him before.

Who's your former Oriole that you're thinking of? 

Hide contents

Steve Pearce?

A guy that everyone hates. Kind of a meme in recent years. I'll message you the answer.

One of my problems in this game is I get greedy.  I thought of a Giants pitcher who had 200 strikeouts but decided to gamble on another guy who I thought would get me a significantly lower score.   Well, that guess was wrong, and then it turned out that the guy I initially thought of only scored 0.5%!   I wouldn’t have saved anything significant even if I’d been right on my “gamble.”  Didn’t matter much since I did poorly today anyway.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

7/9 today, 300 rarity score.  Jays/Giants threw me, so did Brewers/Cubs.

Jays/Giants?   Kevin Gausman and Brandon Belt were gimmes!

Not making fun of you, I've missed some obvious ones too.

Brewers/Cubs stumped me too.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

One of my problems in this game is I get greedy.  I thought of a Giants pitcher who had 200 strikeouts but decided to gamble on another guy who I thought would get me a significantly lower score.   Well, that guess was wrong, and then it turned out that the guy I initially thought of only scored 0.5%!   I wouldn’t have saved anything significant even if I’d been right on my “gamble.”  Didn’t matter much since I did poorly today anyway.  

I thought Yu Darvish had 200 Ks for San Diego.   Nope, 199 and 197.   Not my day.

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

Jays/Giants?   Kevin Gausman and Brandon Belt were gimmes!

Not making fun of you, I've missed some obvious ones too.

Brewers/Cubs stumped me too.

I thought Yu Darvish had 200 Ks for San Diego.   Nope, 199 and 197.   Not my day.

Yep, I miss the gimmes all the time.  For some reason I always immediately think back to players I grew up watching.  80s and 90s.  I rarely think about whoever's playing right now.

9/9 170

Josh Hamilton, Tom Browning, Eric Davis

Dave Parker, Doug Drabek, Tony Womack

Dave Kingman, Juan Marichal, Bobby Bonds

Kingman was a wild surprise.  I knew he'd played for the SFG, didn't remember him for the Angels but I was getting tired of thinking about it and I knew he'd played for a lot of teams.  He played for the Angels for 10 games.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

9/9 61 rarity score today.

I got you narrowly with a 55.

We had the same Dodgers/Tigers pick— I thought I was being smart there only for it to be my highest % answer. Several of the mid-tier famousness guys I picked had lower %s than I expected.

Spoiler

Adrian Gonzalez | JD Drew | Coco Crisp

Kirk Gibson | Anibal Sanchez | Octavio Dotel

Craig Kimbrel | Joc Pederson | Dan Haren

17 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I got you narrowly with a 55.

We had the same Dodgers/Tigers pick— I thought I was being smart there only for it to be my highest % answer. Several of the mid-tier famousness guys I picked had lower %s than I expected.

Hide contents

Adrian Gonzalez | JD Drew | Coco Crisp

Kirk Gibson | Anibal Sanchez | Octavio Dotel

Craig Kimbrel | Joc Pederson | Dan Haren

Good pulls!

I was disappointed to see Tigers/Dodgers so high.  

Some of the fun is poking around the answer keys discovering stuff you wouldn't have guessed.

Two nuggets from an Orioles grid day today - Dizzy Dean did a Satchel Paige type thing with the St. Louis Browns years after he'd retired, so he showed up on the new index highlighting a few of the most famous multi-franchise guys for BAL(slb)-STL.     I trust that's not a spolier and any readers here will be able to come up with their own hipster answers for Orioles squares.

I would have lost a bar bet to anyone who said Joe Orsulak's MLB career spanned his Age 21-35 seasons.     He put up 6.2 out of his 5.4 career WAR in his three good seasons here from '89-'91.