Specific Trade Ideas

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

Comparatively, remember that last year for David Robertson the Cubs got Ben Brown who is a back end of the top 100 prospect. I'd be surprised if Povich was the leading piece for Hader. 

Perhaps so, but Fabian is a very strong co-piece in that trade.  

13 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Comparatively, remember that last year for David Robertson the Cubs got Ben Brown who is a back end of the top 100 prospect. I'd be surprised if Povich was the leading piece for Hader. 

Povich is also a back-end top 100 prospect and Fabian is a legitimate prospect himself. Povich and Fabian is a better package than Ben Brown.

6 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Seeing some of the trades mentioned in this market, if I was Mike Elias I would be feeling like all this market is far too expensive and feel discouraged from going after some of the few names that are worth ant appeal. 

He used the misjudged the market excuse during the offseason.

If you continually misjudge the market the issue is you, not the market.

44 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

The walks are definitely an issue, but you have to look past that the surface numbers. His expected ERA is a 3.94, and his xFIP is 4.18. The expected batting averages on his pitches are .196 on the changeup, .204 on the 4 seam, .236 on the curve, .208 on the slider, and .316 on the sinker. Everything is above average except the walk rate, which is poor, and the barrel rate, which is below average. 

I understand you’d like more help this year, but I don’t see Elias giving up a lot for a rental. Cabrera wouldn’t be FA eligible until 2029, and he would have the potential to help down the stretch and would probably be the second most talented pitcher in the MLB rotation next year (the team would have to help hIm get to that talent by improving his control and command). I also know you like rankings, so before Cabrera graduated, he was ranked 44 in the top 100 by Kiley McDaniel and 33 in the top 100 by Keith Law.

I don’t think it will happen, but I do think it would be a creative trade that could benefit the organization this year, with the potential for Cabrera to become a mid to top of the rotation starter in the future.

I appreciate the insight/explanation. He would be a cost-controlled option. 

But it seems like a risky proposition to me with everything we stand to gain or lose this year. I would rather an option that comes with less risk/more certainty.

But I give you an A for creativity! Lol

21 minutes ago, G54377 said:

Yea I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Elias finds the trade market too expensive, and rolls the dice with what we have. Perhaps only making a Fuji like trade for an under the radar pitcher and outfielder. 

I can’t see how that would be in the best interest of the org short or longterm.

We have punted/kick the can down the road long enough. 

Are we going to leave guys like Ortiz, Stowers, Hall, Kjerstad etc for another season? All of those guys are either in their prime years or will be by January. 

IMO - the best use of their talents/value at this point is not to continue to remain at AAA.

I don't mean this as a shot at the team, but the Orioles can't really afford to just do nothing at the deadline. They've given no indication that they're going to significantly raise payroll so you only have so many years of these guys on the cheap before they start hitting arbitration. They don't have to chase the best of the best, but they have no excuses at all not to find pieces that make them better. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I can’t see how that would be in the best interest of the org short or longterm.

We have punted/kick the can down the road long enough. 

Are we going to leave guys like Ortiz, Stowers, Hall, Kjerstad etc for another season? All of those guys are either in their prime years or will be by January. 

IMO - the best use of their talents/value at this point is not to continue to remain at AAA.

I guess the question becomes what does Hall, Stowers, etc. get you in this trade market? If this is a sellers market, it's possible those are the guys you have to trade just to make a marginal move.

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He used the misjudged the market excuse during the offseason.

If you continually misjudge the market the issue is you, not the market.

Why do you assume he misjudged the market? He could have judged the market correctly, but decided it was too expensive to pursue certain options. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I don't mean this as a shot at the team, but the Orioles can't really afford to just do nothing at the deadline. They've given no indication that they're going to significantly raise payroll so you only have so many years of these guys on the cheap before they start hitting arbitration. They don't have to chase the best of the best, but they have no excuses at all not to find pieces that make them better. 

You are absolutely correct...but I don't see them/him going to the prospect level to make any decently major trades.

It's going to be difficult to trade some of the vets in the off-season to clear space for the young guys, and even then there's not enough spots for everyone. This is the time to make some hay. We all know Boston and NY are going to be mediocre but for so long. 

7 minutes ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Why do you assume he misjudged the market? He could have judged the market correctly, but decided it was too expensive to pursue certain options. 

Because he's discussed adding guys via trade.

You don't plan around using the market and then decide it is too expensive if you accurately judged the market.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Because he's discussed adding guys via trade.

You don't plan around using the market and then decide it is too expensive if you accurately judged the market.

I guess my issue has more to do with calling it an excuse, than whether he “judged the market accurately” beforehand. It’s not necessarily an incorrect move if he went in to the market looking for a good deal, didn’t find one, and decided against making any moves at all. 

• Upvote 1