Official 2023 MLB Draft

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Looks like a run of pitches now. Would love to get a high school kid with some upside in this round.

Well they took a P but not a HS arm.

How many HS pitchers have they drafted outside of Baumler?  Has there been any in the top 10 rounds?

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

Baumler and Showalter.

Those were different drafts.   This is the Covid affected draft where you had all these HS players go to NCAA because the draft in 2020 was only 5 rounds.  So usually you don't get these type of projectible arms at this point.  Usually you have to wait until round 11+ to try and take a shot on projectible arms so that you wont get your pool burned if you cant sign them in rds 1-10.  

Let's see what our pitching development staff can do.  

I wonder if the O's have any appetite for 1B Terp Nick Lorusso?  RHH Covid/5th year Sr.  He's hit every year.  And the K/BB ratio is strong.  It scratches the 1B with power and plate discipline itch, but busts the age/position profile.

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

I wonder if the O's have any appetite for 1B Terp Nick Lorusso?  RHH Covid/5th year Sr.  He's hit every year.  And the K/BB ratio is strong.  It scratches the 1B with power and plate discipline itch, but busts the age/position profile.

He may just end up an UDFA.  Max Costes was one last year.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This has been said to be one of the best drafts we have seen in years.

Simple question…do you feel the Os are taking advantage of that?

Does anyone here feel they can actually answer that question?   The only posters who feel qualified to answer that are the same posters who have questioned top selections and draft strategy in the past and made to look foolish in retrospect.   Humility doesn’t come easy for some.

Easy answer.  I assume they made good selections and did the best they could until proven otherwise.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This has been said to be one of the best drafts we have seen in years.

Simple question…do you feel the Os are taking advantage of that?

Personally, I think the only “blemish” would be not taking HS kid who dropped earlier in the draft. Everyone talked about how there were going to be a lot of those kids and they seemed to be correct in that. They said those kids were a big reason this draft was so deep and talented.

I am a little surprised the Os didn’t go that route, especially since they have had success with it in the past. Of course, we have no idea if they had guys pegged that they wanted and they just weren’t there for them.

Otherwise, I like what they have done at least based off of scouting reports and what little video I have seen.

Edited by Sports Guy

Following the draft this year, I have been wondering how often a late round pick actually pans out and/or maybe turns into a star. A quick search turned up some articles, and I thought a few of them might be interesting to read over.

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-late-round-picks-in-draft-history-c182980276

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1974302

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895275-the-greatest-late-round-steals-in-recent-mlb-draft-history

Edited by FlaO'sFan