Trade Idea - Pittsburgh Pirates

Answerman

O's get - Relief Pitcher David Bednar

Bucs get - 2B Connor Norby, OF Kyle Stowers (or Hudson Haskin), C Creed Willems

Rationale: Norby and Stowers each carry a realistic shot at a major league career and each is pretty much ready to be called up now. Willems is having a great year for Aberdeen and only 20 years old. If only one of these guys pans out it will be a fantastic deal for Pittsburgh. 

While the combined value of the three prospects may be greater than that of Bednar, none of the three have a clear path with the O's. All are blocked by good young players. Though some may argue that the O's would be selling for $.80 on the dollar, their window is open now and an elite reliever is just what the doctor ordered. Bednar also comes with three years of control. 

Thoughts?

I think Bednar’s trade value exceeds this given his track record and additional years of control, but that depends a lot on how you view Norby and Willems. If Norby is still considered ~80 in the top 100 and Willems is on the cusp of consideration, then it’s close, but I don’t think they are. Bednar has a lot of trade value. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Answerman said:

O's get - Relief Pitcher David Bednar

Bucs get - 2B Connor Norby, OF Kyle Stowers (or Hudson Haskin), C Creed Willems

Rationale: Norby and Stowers each carry a realistic shot at a major league career and each is pretty much ready to be called up now. Willems is having a great year for Aberdeen and only 20 years old. If only one of these guys pans out it will be a fantastic deal for Pittsburgh. 

While the combined value of the three prospects may be greater than that of Bednar, none of the three have a clear path with the O's. All are blocked by good young players. Though some may argue that the O's would be selling for $.80 on the dollar, their window is open now and an elite reliever is just what the doctor ordered. Bednar also comes with three years of control. 

Thoughts?

It's a lot to give away for Bednar, who has 2023 plus 3 arb years of control.  I really dislike trading position players for pitchers (particularly 3 for 1), because of the greater injury risk.

I think Pittsburgh would jump on this in a second despite the fact Bednar is a hometown Pitt boy.

27 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I would do that trade which means the Pirates wouldn’t.  I feel like they would want Kjerstad instead of Stowers.  It’s a seller’s market so Bednar is going to bring back a haul if they trade him.

I’m not giving up Norby for a non closer RP and there’s 0 chance that Kjerstad goes for him. I think it’s a 2 player trade and I probably offer Stowers and Hall. If it doesn’t get it done I’d offer to add a lottery ticket or 2. If not so be it.

Edited by Roll Tide

16 minutes ago, Filmstudy said:

It's a lot to give away for Bednar, who has 2023 plus 3 arb years of control.  I really dislike trading position players for pitchers (particularly 3 for 1), because of the greater injury risk.

I think Pittsburgh would jump on this in a second despite the fact Bednar is a hometown Pitt boy.

I hear you, but how else do you propose that we get the requisite starting pitching talent necessary to match up for 2/3 playoff rounds to get through the American League and on to the World Series? 

Injury risks are very real for pitchers especially starters and trades are risky as well. But I just don’t see us being able to avoid acquiring such talent in the draft year over year combined with lacking the “magic formula” of being able to take lower picks and/or international players and develop them into elite starters and then being able to hedge our bets all the way to becoming a team that is better than the Atlanta Braves.

IMO they are the favorites as the best team in the sport and they have a complete roster. Even if we make it through the AL, we will be the underdog against them. With the amount of organizational talent that we possess, I am not okay with accepting an underdog status because we are too risk adverse to do what is necessary to balance out our roster.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m not giving up Norby for a non closer RP and there’s 0 chance that Kjerstad goes for him. I think it’s a 2 player trade and I probably offer Stowers and Hall. If it doesn’t get it done I’d offer to add a lottery ticket or 2. If not so be it.

Non-closer?  He is a closer.  He wouldn’t be a closer here but I don’t think Pittsburgh is going to lower their asking price for that reason.

I didn’t say I would trade Kjerstad but Pittsburgh would definitely ask for him.

A lot of people around here seem to think we’re going to trade our spare parts for good players in a seller’s market.  I’m sure they would be interested in DL Hall, but as the main piece?  I can almost guarantee they’ll do better than that. 

Edited by ArtVanDelay

3 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Non-closer?  He is a closer.  He wouldn’t be a closer here but I don’t think Pittsburgh is going to lower their asking price for that reason.

I didn’t say I would trade Kjerstad but Pittsburgh would definitely ask for him.

A lot of people around here seem to think we’re going trade our spare parts for good players in a seller’s market.

I think we can get a couple of quality relievers without breaking the bank. I’m just against trading a top 100 prospect for a reliever that’s not my closer. I could care less about them asking for Kjerstad as Elias would just hang up. 

The problem is we have a gifted farm and a stacked roster. We have players who are being bypassed here they wouldn’t be elsewhere as other teams aren’t as deep. I agree that Frazier is a spare part. Guys like Stowers aren’t top prospects but they still aren’t spare parts types. Hall, Norby, and Ortiz were all top 100 guys according to Baseball America back In January.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think we can get a couple of quality relievers without breaking the bank. I’m just against trading a top 100 prospect for a reliever that’s not my closer. I could care less about them asking for Kjerstad as Elias would just hang up. 

The problem is we have a gifted farm and a stacked roster. We have players who are being bypassed here they wouldn’t be elsewhere as other teams aren’t as deep. I agree that Frazier is a spare part. Guys like Stowers aren’t top prospects but they still aren’t spare parts types. Hall, Norby, and Ortiz were all top 100 guys according to Baseball America back In January.

Spare parts might’ve been too harsh of a term but Hall’s and Stowers’ values have to be pretty low right now.