Gunnar Henderson vs Trea Turner WAR Watch

Aristotelian

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So a player who has no power is making less than a player who had power.

And?

Why randomly mention Trea Turner?

Carlos Correa  1.0 fWAR, 1.1 rWAR

Correa salary:  $32,000,000.

Did anyone including O's fans expect Gunnar to outperform Trea this year? 

Correa was actually more predictable IMO due to the injury rumors, although he is a good comp as well, especially there have been rumors at times that we were interested and some were in favor. If you want to add more comps go for it!

I Guess if the point is were we better off not spending big money on a FA SS like Turner, Correa, or Bogaerts, the answer would be a resounding yes.   That was never a priority area with the way this team has been built.

There are going to be some, probably many, falls when the world's greatest players of proven quality and earning an unencumbered wage send our younglings home.     $$$/WAR is an artificial constraint, at least at the extreme John Angelos has set $$$ at for the present moment.

The Rays $$$/WAR heroes have been sent home before the end every year of their existence, but I believe everyone understands it is just the bites at the apple.     Every year Friedman's teams fail, the Mariano Yankees in retrospect look better and better.

There's a fair chance someone like Max Scherzer is available in the next few weeks for a Club willing to pay in some hybrid of talent and money.    To the extent the Mets have money not talent, that perhaps skews them towards looking for a match with a talent-rich organization.

53 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Did anyone including O's fans expect Gunnar to outperform Trea this year? 

Correa was actually more predictable IMO due to the injury rumors, although he is a good comp as well, especially there have been rumors at times that we were interested and some were in favor. If you want to add more comps go for it!

Expect?

Probably not.

But I'm not shocked that the #1 prospect in the game had a better first half than a 30 year old middle infielder.

Now Johan Heim having a better first half than a healthy Adley is a big shock.

Edited by Can_of_corn
added healthy as a caveat since injuries can damn any season

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Westburg- .6 WAR

Frazier- .2 WAR

250 more PA for Frazier.

Not sure where you're getting that WAR figure for Frazier, he's at 1.2 bWAR year to date.

That being said, Frazier is here solely as plugging the negative WAR hole Odor left behind with ANY positive value (a net win for the team) until the young guns were ready to come up.  And as insurance in case those guys needed the entire year in the minors for some reason. 

So he's definitely served his purpose well. And I don't think you need to worry about a Frazier extension. 

Edited by Morgan423
fixed a typo
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Morgan423 said:

Not sure where you're getting that WAR figure for Frazier, he's at 1.4 bWAR year to date.

That being said, Frazier is here solely as plugging the negative WAR hole Odor left behind with ANY positive value (a net win for the team) until the young guns were ready to come up.  And as insurance in case those guys needed the entire year in the minors for some reason. 

So he's definitely served his purpose well. And I don't think you need to worry about a Frazier extension. 

While he certainly should have specified it's also obvious that he is talking about fWAR.

8 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Not sure where you're getting that WAR figure for Frazier, he's at 1.2 bWAR year to date.

As I have said many times, I only look at fWAR since it’s the best one, especially for position players.