Who is the third best pitcher in our bullpen right now?

TommyPickles

Maybe a little recency bias after last night, but I’d have to say Danny Coloumbe. I feel like he gets a bit forgotten when everyone talks about the Os having two good relievers and then weak middle relief. 

The veteran lefty has a 2.70 ERA in 33.1 IP, with a 1.05 WHIP. Good for 1.0 WAR.

Anyone you’d take over him for the 7th inning in a must win game in October?

Baumann? Irvin? Fuji? Baker?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

DC may be our second best pitcher

I didn’t realize how Cano’s K numbers have plummeted. Only 10 K in 16.2 IP since May. Though, even when dominating he was never a high K guy. That said, he’s easily our second best RP. He doesn’t walk people and usually gets soft contact. 

I’d say DC is our third best RP. Baker should be but he’s just too inconsistent. Agree with others than Fujinami may be our third best now. At least will push Baker down into a lower leverage role. 

Edited by waroriole

Interesting question. Coulombe and Baker have different kinds of ceilings. I don't think that Baker can do what DC did yesterday, but I also don't think that DC can come in and blow away 3 guys in a row. Then again, an out is an out, and style points don't exist. 

It's a pretty big gap from our 2nd best arm to our 3rd though, no matter who you think it is. Both guys have a little too much Jekyl and Hyde for me to be comfortable anointing them as the 7th inning guy, but both are quite good at their best. I think I'd give the nod to DC as the better pitcher though. 

I think if we can acquire a 7th inning guy and we have the 2023 version of BOB and BOMB that we had in 2014, the rest of the league is in big trouble. 

Edited by Sanfran327

I see it tiers.

Teir 1 - Bautista and Cano

Teir 2 - Coulombe and Baker. In tier 2, it just depends on the situation. Couloumbe is a LHP who's repertoire is movement based breaking balls and off-speed. Baker is a fast ball hurler. Against a team like the Dodgers, Coulombe was the better choice because their hitters are always looking for the fast ball.

Teir 3 - Baumann

Teir 4 - Vespi, Perez, & Akin

Teir 5 - Gillaspie and Bazardo (although Perez and Arkin are quickly in the running to be demoted to this tier)

I won't place any of the starters in the bullpen tiers because the long relief role seems to continuously fluctuate between Irvin, Zimmerman, Voth, and they even had Drew Rom up at one point but he never got into a game. Just not worth ranking them when it always changes.

No way I’d put Baker in the same tier as Coulombe.  

Coulombe: 2.79 ERA, 2.81 FIP, has allowed 26% of inherited runners to score.

Baker: 3.89 ERA, 3.65 FIP, has allowed 46% of inherited runners to score.  

Coulmbe has been way, way more consistent from outing to outing than Baker.  

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No way I’d put Baker in the same tier as Coulombe.  

Coulombe: 2.79 ERA, 2.81 FIP, has allowed 26% of inherited runners to score.

Baker: 3.89 ERA, 3.65 FIP, has allowed 46% of inherited runners to score.  

Coulmbe has been way, way more consistent from outing to outing than Baker.  

Maybe those couple of home runs, like the one Kevin Pillar hit off of Coulombe that cost us the game, is clouding my judgement and making me be just a bit too critical.

12 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Maybe those couple of home runs, like the one Kevin Pillar hit off of Coulombe that cost us the game, is clouding my judgement and making me be just a bit too critical.

I feel like that’s one of the very few games this year where Coulombe didn’t do a good job.  But also, I like pitchers with good command, which Coulombe has and Baker does not.  I never really feel like Coulombe beat himself, whereas I feel that way with Baker quite frequently.    

4 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I see it tiers.

Teir 2 - Coulombe and Baker. In tier 2, it just depends on the situation. Couloumbe is a LHP who's repertoire is movement based breaking balls and off-speed. Baker is a fast ball hurler. Against a team like the Dodgers, Coulombe was the better choice because their hitters are always looking for the fast ball.

Teir 3 - Baumann

Teir 5 - Gillaspie and Bazardo (although Perez and Arkin are quickly in the running to be demoted to this tier)

I won't place any of the starters in the bullpen tiers because the long relief role seems to continuously fluctuate between Irvin, Zimmerman, Voth, and they even had Drew Rom up at one point but he never got into a game. Just not worth ranking them when it always changes.

I'd put DC and Cano in Tier 2, Baker and Baumann in Tier 3 and Bautista is in Tier 1 by himself.

4 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I see it tiers.

Teir 3 - Baumann

There's absolutely no way Cano is in the same tier with Bautista. He's been getting by with smoke and mirrors and has been extremely hittable for he last two months. In the last 30 days he has an ERA near 4.00, a WHIP over 1.5 and has given up 13 hits in 9 IPed. That's pretty awful.