Orioles sign Ty Wigginton to a 2 year deal

jamesenoch

I like this signing, and I think it definitely means MacPhail plans to trade Scott before ST. The main reason for that is that Scott is actually a pretty decent defender in LF, so he's more valuable as an outfielder than as a DH (the opposite of a guy like Adam Dunn). There are plenty of teams that could use a decent left-handed outfield bat (don't forget he can play RF too). Wigginton and Huff will be our token "professional hitters" - guys who are supposedly 1B/3B/corner OF but in reality are only valuable because they can hit.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is somewhat puzzling. Almost has to be a precursor to another deal or two or three. Are they really going to carry Freel, Wigginton, Gomez, and a backup catcher? That means a 12-man staff. And three guys who technically are able to play all four infield spots, but in reality all are streched in the middle infield.

Really hope this isn't the full time solution to 3B for 2010. Wigginton is 31, 32 in 2010. He's a career .760 OPS guy against righties and on the road. He'd really have to overshoot his likely projections to be an average third baseman. His defensive numbers at third aren't good. Anybody who just expects Wigginton to repeat his 2008 numbers for a couple years is probably a little misguided - he had a massive split in Houston, and the NL Central isn't the AL East.

There are ways I can see this as a great move - if they use him as a platoon guy, and spot him in the lineup mostly against lefties, get him 300-400 PAs max. They could sit Scott and Huff against some lefties, matchup the defense with the type of pitcher on the mound, and really get a big plus with Freel and Wigginton in the lineup. If they just plug Freel and Wigginton in whenever without respect to matchups neither is going to be a plus at all.

In limited appearances he does have some decent numbers as a DH/PH, so that's a small plus.

I don't see any indication that they would use him in any other way.

According to the sun article, its a 2/6 deal, which is a good bargain, IMO.

If Wiggington mostly just plays against LHP, then this will be a good move. He is versatile and good against LHP, so it doesn't seem like a bad move.

I agree though, something else has to be in the works.

I agree that it's completely out of character for Trembley/MacPhail. I have to think this is the first move of several more, or that they're really going with a 12-man staff and keep Gomez along with Freel and Wigginton.

Not really sure about the Gomez infatuation. He can't hit, he's old, and he's only adequate in the field. I'd give his spot to some Izturis clone who can mainly play great D in the late innings after they pinch hit for Izturis.

I agree with you 100% here. I'm not a big fan...I like him...seems to relish the utility role, but I'd just as soon see a younger guy like Murphy get the spot. That's what Murphy's role will likely be anyway...

I don't think this move necessarily means there is another one about to go down.

It just looks like we'll be seeing a lot less Felix Pie than originally thought.

I would be very surprised if this is true given AM and DT quotes in regards to defense.

Wigginton has really only had limited time in the OF something like 62 out of 747 games. My guess is he is being viewed as a corner IF guy who can play LF/RF in a pinch if necessary.

Does this mean that AM will attempt to convince Mora to waive good by. I could see him in a package with Scott to a contending team in need, for a list of quality prospects. Or do we keep Mora around until his contract expires. Speculations?

Sorry SG, maybe Wiggy will grown on you.:o

Archived