Orioles sign Ty Wigginton to a 2 year deal

jamesenoch

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt that happens.

Though with my predictions lately dont hold your breathe.

Well, I also think that we really have an under-appreciated player in Scott. I think he could easily give us numbers better than last year's. He really was a joy to watch play.

I really hope that there is a plan that keeps him on this team, productive and happy.

Not sure how you could say anything bad about this signing.

He provides some insurance for 2010.

He gives the Orioles a righty bat against lefties...He enables us to be very versatile and flexible with the CI/OF/DH spots and he isn't costing us anything.

He should be able to hit fine in OPACY, just like he did in Houston.

I also don't see how this is a precursor to another move...While I hope so, signing Wigginton gives them the platoon partner to Scott that they have wanted and they make it easier to rest Huff and/or Mora on a more regular basis.

Now, will DT manage this roster correctly? IMO, he did a poor job of using the versatility last year and this year, he has even more flexibility.

It will be up to him to make sure the older players are rested more, that guys are put in a better position to succeed, etc....

I'm OK with this (like I had a choice!). AM's added another RH bat off the bench for those "tough lefty" days. Also, if the Orioles provide a bench that DT likes and trusts, maybe he'll be less reluctant to use it.

As far as expecting additional moves by AM goes: he's said he's not done. I expect the moves to continue until the day MacPhail hangs 'em up here.

If we actually went with a 13-position player roster, I'd love the way this team is constructed. When was the last time we had a bench this good?

Now we really need to add a starter who can give us 180-200 innings so we can afford to carry a 12-man staff.

Not sure how you could say anything bad about this signing.

He provides some insurance for 2010.

He gives the Orioles a righty bat against lefties...He enables us to be very versatile and flexible with the CI/OF/DH spots and he isn't costing us anything.

He should be able to hit fine in OPACY, just like he did in Houston.

I also don't see how this is a precursor to another move...While I hope so, signing Wigginton gives them the platoon partner to Scott that they have wanted and they make it easier to rest Huff and/or Mora on a more regular basis.

Now, will DT manage this roster correctly? IMO, he did a poor job of using the versatility last year and this year, he has even more flexibility.

It will be up to him to make sure the older players are rested more, that guys are put in a better position to succeed, etc....

I agree with you on that I dont see this as a precursor to something else.

I don't think this necessarily means more moves are on the way. I think AM and DT looked at the projected lineups and they looked a little bit lefty heavy, so Wigginton was brought in to help against LHP. The guy whose possibilities of making the team just took a big hit is, IMO, Montanez.

I don't think this effects Mora much. If anything, he can now get some days off. Wigginton will probably play exclusively at 1B with some time at 3B to spell Mora...

That's exactly how it effects Mora. Mora doesn't like to take days off. He doesn't need rest. He hates rest.

What if we trade nobody and we go with a 4 man bench comprised of a backup catcher, Freel, Gomez, and Wigginton? Scott and Wigginton split time at DH depending on matchups.

Yep, that's a great bench. And we truly do not need to move anyone else. That being said, Scott may have more value to another team (as an OF starter) that we could leverage. Or not. But I'm sure we're looking.

Wigginton provides ML quality backup at 1b/3B for this year and next and could step into a bigger role on a temporary basis if someone gets hurt.

He's a clear upgrade on whoever we remove from the 40 man roster and does not appear to block any prospect.

Seems like a solid move at a good price.

Archived