Hear me out…Austin Hays

Answerman

I hear you guys...those are excellent points. However, let's say we had a lock down releiver like Bednar on our team (imagine how helpful that would have been in this Tampa series!). If we were debating whose production could be most easily replaced - Hays or Bednar - with the players we have in the organization, I kinda think the answer might be Austin's. 

I realize this won't change anyone's mind, but I am very concerned about our pitching. If we have a starter go down, or maybe Wells/Kramer can't get out of the fourth inning in a playoff game, I don't trust our bullpen to carry more than three or four innings. 

4 minutes ago, Answerman said:

I hear you guys...those are excellent points. However, let's say we had a lock down releiver like Bednar on our team (imagine how helpful that would have been in this Tampa series!). If we were debating whose production could be most easily replaced - Hays or Bednar - with the players we have in the organization, I kinda think the answer might be Austin's. 

I realize this won't change anyone's mind, but I am very concerned about our pitching. If we have a starter go down, or maybe Wells/Kramer can't get out of the fourth inning in a playoff game, I don't trust our bullpen to carry more than three or four innings. 

No. You would be drastically over paying in that scenario. Hays is worth far more than a dime a dozen part time reliever.

17 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

No. You would be drastically over paying in that scenario. Hays is worth far more than a dime a dozen part time reliever.

I’m not sure it’s necessary to your argument to so drastically understate the quality of Bednar. 

Maybe you don’t trade him for any reliever, and that’s perfectly reasonable, but Bednar is a top 5ish reliever in the game. He’s not quite Felix, but he’s right up there with guys like Clase, Diaz, Hader, Sewald, etc. He’s definitely not “dime a dozen” or “part time.”

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Any chance of selling a vet bat for pitching went out the window when Mullins got hurt.

Agree with this. They’re not moving Hays when it would require the base starting lineup to include both Hicks/Cowser indefinitely, neither of whom you can really count on at this point for the kind of production we’ll need from a corner OF spot.

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I’m not sure it’s necessary to your argument to so drastically understate the quality of Bednar. 

Maybe you don’t trade him for any reliever, and that’s perfectly reasonable, but Bednar is a top 5ish reliever in the game. He’s not quite Felix, but he’s right up there with guys like Clase, Diaz, Hader, Sewald, etc. He’s definitely not “dime a dozen” or “part time.”

All pitchers are part timers. Everyday players are far more valuable. I'll bet you the Twins wish they still had Arraez on their team. He's done more for the Marlins than Lopez did for the Marlins. 

5 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

All pitchers are part timers. Everyday players are far more valuable. I'll bet you the Twins wish they still had Arraez on their team. He's done more for the Marlins than Lopez did for the Marlins. 

Only two players were "everyday players" last season.

And one of them was allowed to walk as a free agent.

47 minutes ago, Answerman said:

Wouldn't Pittsburgh rather have Cowser than Hays? Hays actually has fewer years of control than Bednar. If O's won't do Cowser, maybe Ortiz or Westburg. 

3 hours ago, Orioles Jim said:

I’d do it on merits no doubt, I’d just be worried about what it’d do to the locker room from a team chemistry standpoint.

Was listening to Joe Maddon, people used to respect him around baseball as a pretty competent fellow. He said that if you want to lose the clubhouse during a playoff push, trade your core players for lesser talent during the run. I'd wait until the offseason before even daring to trade either of those players.

• Upvote 2