Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

Remember when some folks on OH were saying that Elias was smart to wait things out, because the buyer side would thin out towards the end and we wouldn't have as much competition?

Good times.  

Until we see how any deals actually shake out I wouldn't be comfortable being on either side of this argument.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Malike said:

Ohtani is a quiet person, LAA has made every concession he's asked for to live a quiet life in a big town. He doesn't want to play in a spot where he's getting a ton of attention, he's private. He wants to play on the West Coast, we'll see. Money only buys you so much, and after a certain dollar amount, it turns into what do I really need for my family. I still think they are the favorites to keep him.

Ohtani also would feel comfortable in a city with lots of diversity so don’t underestimate the New York market. 

Just now, Os4days said:

Ohtani also would feel comfortable in a city with lots of diversity so don’t underestimate the New York market. 

I live in NY. He wants the exact opposite of being in the spotlight. the NY media craze would make him super uncomfortable.

13 minutes ago, Fan4Life said:

The publicity of our part in a bidding war for Verlander etal help lower the price for who may really want, Flaherty/Carson?

Carlson is definitely a good buy-low candidate.  But I can't imagine Flaherty being the guy we wanted all along.  He looked like an emerging front-end starter a few years ago but nowadays he is pedestrian in his headline numbers, peripherals, and stuff.   

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Remember when some folks on OH were saying that Elias was smart to wait things out, because the buyer side would thin out towards the end and we wouldn't have as much competition?

Good times.  

You could interpret this as an indication of how hard teams are driving the O's. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry keeps parroting that the O's NEED a starting pitcher and have UNLIMITED prospects. When other teams call Elias and he offers them Connor Norby, they might think they can get cute and ask for Mayo because they've heard ad naseum about the O's needs and their resources and think that they can pull one over on a GM who has no track record as a buyer. If that's at all a reflection of reality and he doesn't cave, then I'll come away from this deadline more confident than ever that we're in good hands.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I was thinking this and then I saw that Flaherty gets lit up in LHB. LHB have a .637 OPS vs Lorenzen this year. If we can’t get Ed Rod, then Lorenzen is the only guy we should trade for. I’ve under estimated how good Lorenzen’s numbers are this year. Oddly enough, he might be really helped out by OPACY and the wall. 

If we’re gearing up for the playoffs then I think we need Lorenzen, Carlson, and Ottavino. If we’re just trying to make the playoffs, then we probably need a vet SU guy. Just to take the pressure off the rest of the pen. 

The lack of innings that he has pitched is a legit concern.

4 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Carlson is definitely a good buy-low candidate.  But I can't imagine Flaherty being the guy we wanted all along.  He looked like an emerging front-end starter a few years ago but nowadays he is pedestrian in his headline numbers, peripherals, and stuff.   

Yes I didn't mean them specifically.. but in that vein. 

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

You could interpret this as an indication of how hard teams are driving the O's. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry keeps parroting that the O's NEED a starting pitcher and have UNLIMITED prospects. When other teams call Elias and he offers them Connor Norby, they might think they can get cute and ask for Mayo because they've heard ad naseum about the O's needs and their resources and think that they can pull one over on a GM who has no track record as a buyer. If that's at all a reflection of reality and he doesn't cave, then I'll come away from this deadline more confident than ever that we're in good hands.

I get that same feeling from all of this too. Negotiating is an art form and the jury is still out on how good of a negotiator Mike Elias is.  He's superb at evaluating talent, but how good of a negotiator is he?

To Be Continued...

1 minute ago, Alasdaire said:

It's definitely a balance between not over-spending but also not missing your chance to strike to legitimately improve your contending team.

With that said, it would be easy to over-spend if you were in Elias' shoes. Most of the press and fans celebrate player acquisitions whether it's ultimately good for the team or not. It takes restraint to be willing to disappoint the fans and take a beating from the press in order to avoid potentially bad deals.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Like what? Because I'm not seeing it. 

Well I have already discussed Carlson and the upside he has and that he brings very good defense.

Flaherty has some good statcast nunbers.  K rate is solid. His FIP is good.

The BB rate is an issue but it wasn’t that long ago that it would have been foolish to suggest you could acquire him because he was that good. (Could this be the route Cease is on?)

I also don’t think it would cost a lot to acquire them.

• Upvote 1