Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

12 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The last 3 years Ohtani has been amazing. His fWAR total for those 3 is 8, 9.4, and 6.6 (so far). Bonds had 7 seasons better than Ohtani’s best. That’s not even discussing longevity. Ohtani has been really cool to see. He doesn’t approach the greats right now. Not even close. 

I don't want to turn this into an Ohtani vs Bonds thing because Lord knows I have derailed my fair share of threads. But the WAR stats that you point to are would give Bonds the significant advantage because of how great of a defensive player that he was too. Meanwhile, Ohtani is not really allowed to play much defense except for some 1B because of the risk that it is to his pitching. I think Ohtani could have been/could be an excellent CF or at the very least corner OF if he wasn't a pitcher. He certainly has the movement skills, speed, and an amazing arm. But because he does not play a position for the most part except for DH, he is penalized in the WAR department because of his lack of defensive contribution.

But to each their own, if you go by WAR then yes Bonds was better. But if you go by unprecedented impact and ability to effect the game in ways no other player EVER has (at least since the few years Ruth was a two-way player for the Red Sox), then Ohtani is your guy.

I'm not going to say any more on this though as this is a thread about Orioles trade rumors and speculation.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

We're pitching starved as an organization. I really don't want to trade what little pitching we have in the minors. Wouldn't St. Louis take a position player prospect or two for Montgomery?

You can get pitching back in the off season if you need too.   They are gonna move some of the veterans in the off season so you can restock anything you trade off at the deadline.  I know it is rare but maybe a 3 way trade.   

50 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The rumor for Montgomery is the same as for Ohtani. Just Bowden speculation. 

Actually I think you are right. I have seen articles referring to the Athletic piece describing us as "linked" to the Cardinals, so I assumed there was a source. I'm not a subscriber but the more I read about it, the more it looks like the headlines are inaccurate and Bowden is just making up deals like the rest of us. He described the Orioles as "committed" to trading for pitching so I thought that at least implied a source but I could be wrong.

https://www.si.com/mlb/cardinals/news/cardinals-orioles-reportedly-linked-in-potential-deadline-blockbuster-deal-pat3

These 8 days it will be interesting to see if the Tight Ship Elias has any leaks.    I can't recall any, but there's also never been a week like this with the load on his and his team's energies.

No one in the general baseball media cares when the 2022 Orioles sign Jordan Lyles.     He's at the big table now.

Last year the ratio of Last 2 Days trades to Last 2 Weeks (not counting the frenzy) was like 50-10, so I mostly look for a normal week of baseball.    But after Sunday's games, game on.

Last week for teams to gain a view if they go 5-1 or 1-5.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I wouldn't mind getting Montgomery (so long as he's healthy), but not at the cost of any of our pitching prospects. We have a surplus of position prospects, and should be trading from that pool rather than young arms. My offer to St. Louise would be two guys in the Prieto / Haskin / Wagner / Rhodes level of our minor leagues, or Norby straight up. That should be more than enough. 

Again - so long as he's healthy. Didn't Montgomery tweak a hammy a couple weeks ago? 

44 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

It would be nice if Elias actually tried to get someone to make us world series contenders, but all I see is more Koji's and Cole Irvins. 

I am sure there will be one head scratching move like always as well

If we were to acquire a pitcher like Koji Uehara I think our fortunes would dramatically change for the better. But unfortantely that guy's last season was in 2017. I think you meant Shintaro Fujinama.

But agree, I hope that we get a difference maker not just an add on to help around the edges.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

I would think the Cardinals would want at least one of our guys who is closer to the major leagues at this point.  I don't think Povich and one of Cook/Rhodes gets it done.  But that's just my opinion.  

You may be right.  I hope we find out by the Aug 1st deadline.

Zooming in on these exact 7.2 days and the freshness of various pitchers, it has occurred to me this morning if Elias is bidding for Montgomery, he might actually care about getting him for the Yankees series at OPACY this weekend.

But that would mean closing before last 24-48 hours when asks soften, and even when the availability of some of the very best pitchers still might be unclear.

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Zooming in on these exact 7.2 days and the freshness of various pitchers, it has occurred to me this morning if Elias is bidding for Montgomery, he might actually care about getting him for the Yankees series at OPACY this weekend.

But that would mean closing before last 24-48 hours when asks soften, and even when the availability of some of the very best pitchers still might be unclear.

Aren’t the Yankees tied for last place while we have the best record in the league?

Why would there be ANY urgency to bring in a pitcher for the Yankee series? 

What are they 9 behind us in the loss column?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Prayin4Reign said:

Saw this on CBS Sports website today.  Not a rumor, just a proposed trade by their writer.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 11.07.41 AM.png

He's never been a reliever.  This isn't the kind of lefty that teams grab for a playoff run.  Maybe in the offseason.  We need clear upgrade.  Brooks Raley from the Mets would be a guy we should target.  

11 minutes ago, Prayin4Reign said:

Saw this on CBS Sports website today.  Not a rumor, just a proposed trade by their writer.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 at 11.07.41 AM.png

Joey Wentz is not a pitcher teams would be looking for in the Orioles situation.   He might be an off season target.   There is very little to suggest that he would improve our chances this year.