Orioles related trade rumors and speculation leading up to the deadline

Roll Tide

23 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Do you not think he's a high-3 low-4 ERA guy? That's kind of where he's been even if you pretend 2022 didn't happen.  And he has 2 more arb years left.  Do you think he's going to fall off the face of the earth as a pitcher?  If you value team control I'm not sure there's another guy out there unless we can pry EdRod off Detroit's hands and convince him to waive his opt-out.

Yea, a 3.7-4.1 type guy. I’m not giving up top 40 high end power prospects for that. It’s just not some overwhelming piece.

I think we need a welcoming committee to make sure Kate can enjoy her time in Baltimore as Justin winds down his career winning 3 more World Series.

I was going to volunteer, but my wife informs me that I have enough on my plate and it will have to be someone else...

• Upvote 2

Just now, Bemorewins said:

Are you from Baltimore? Do you live in the area? 

Of course Baltimore has problems like ALL major urban areas do (NY, LA, CHI, MIA, etc.). But there are areas here that are comparable/better than any other place in the country. 

The Verlanders will be fine. There are plenty of pro and ex pro athletes who live in my community.

I hope that your opinion isn’t informed from infotainment (not saying it is). But Baltimore (the real metropolitan area) IS NOT the wire. That is a part of the underbelly of the city like all cities have. But there are fantastic places to live as well.

And as I mentioned if the Verlanders could manage in Houston, they will find places here that are much better/much more appealing that what that area has to offer.

Are you from Houston? Do frequent there often? Ever been in the Summer?

I grew up in the DC suburbs of MD, about equidistant between DC and Baltimore.  I currently live in Texas, and have been to Houston many times.

Houston is awful, especially in the summer.

I personally do not identify as a Baltimorean or a Marylander.  My family has been in Texas since its Independence, and I only grew up outside of DC because my family has a long tradition of being in the military.

But I am very familiar with Baltimore and MD.  And I know it offends some people here, or some people take it personal, but Baltimore has the single worst reputation for an urban area in the entire country.  That isn't just because of the "media" or The Wire.

It's because Baltimore is uniquely dysfunctional on a multitude of levels.

Is Baltimore going to find a mayor who can serve a full term without being jailed for corruption?

Baltimore was in the National News two days ago.  Some "squeegee" kid shot a dude six times in the back.  He was found guilty of manslaughter, and a jury member apologized to him for that.  He'll be out on the streets in a couple of years, no doubt free to murder again.

I'm glad that many of you are happy with your lives there.  I am glad that you have found such financial success that you have good homes in good neighborhoods.  Congratulations and I'm pleased for you.

That doesn't change the fact that Baltimore has a reputation for crime, violence, and corruption.  Rightfully so.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MarCakes21 said:

This isn't true.  If you can go to a first place team, its certainly attractive.  Especially if you're 40 and want to win.

What's not true? The statement I made was that Verlander has a no-trade clause in his contract so he has the final say on if/where he gets traded. And that is absolutely true.

4 minutes ago, Alasdaire said:

Odell Beckham Jr. just signed with the Ravens. Different background/demographic, but still that rockstar status and Baltimore wasn't too podunk for him. The location isn't an albatross by itself.

Football and baseball can't be compared.

I mean, Baltimore does suck..a lot of the counties surrounding it also suck.

But if he believes this team can win and wants to be closer to where he grew up, he could come here.

Hopefully he says no though. I would guess if the Os are actually talking to the Mets and talks are a bit down the road, he has already been approached about coming here.

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'd like to add that while everyone is dumping on Houston, Verlander played in Detroit for many years. I feel like that is being overlooked lol.

Touche.  Of course he was drafted there and that is Kate Upton's home.

6 minutes ago, Pickles said:

I'm glad that many of you are happy with your lives there.  I am glad that you have found such financial success that you have good homes in good neighborhoods.  Congratulations and I'm pleased for you.

That doesn't change the fact that Baltimore has a reputation for crime, violence, and corruption.  Rightfully so.

Does that not apply to Justin Verlander?

4 minutes ago, Pickles said:

But I am very familiar with Baltimore and MD.  And I know it offends some people here, or some people take it personal, but Baltimore has the single worst reputation for an urban area in the entire country.  That isn't just because of the "media" or The Wire.

St. Louis has as bad of a reputation as Baltimore and it's in the middle of nowhere. If the Cardinals were at their usual level of success, do you think he would veto a trade there?

I think organizational reputation has more to do with it. He could believe the O's haven't proven they're willing to spend or that they have the infrastructure to go all the way. That's going to be a bigger hurdle to attracting free agents than the area imo.