Friday, July 28: Yankees come to town for the last time

SteveA

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

See this is why he needs clean innings. The guy is used to starting. Hyde needs to know this. 

But he sucked as a starter and began to find his grove as a reliever. So maybe he needs to be in extreme high leverage situations to focus? Maybe Hyde knows that?

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Look, he gave up 0 runs to an awful offense, his defense made big plays behind him and he walked 2 and struck out 4. I'm sure his game score isn't the best we've seen from an Oriole pitcher this season.

The offense is different with Judge.  It’s not all about game scores. The Yankeees had good at-bats tonight.  It’s also really tough facing the best pitcher in the AL.  But agree not the most dominant game of the season. 

1 minute ago, spiritof66 said:

As good as GRod looked tonight, he'll look even better when he's allowed to wear a real Orioles uniform.

That rain delay was a lucky break for the O's tonight. Who decided in late July that wearing all black uniforms was a good idea? This is the hottest day of the year so far.

I know a guy who might be able to help with the uniforms:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not every reliever gets that luxury. That’s not living in reality. 

Pretty sure he just worked out of it. 

Relievers obviously need to be ready and able to perform in sticky situations. But that doesn't mean you can't try to avoid them. That's my gripe with Hyde, he is constantly putting relievers in more difficult situations than is necessary. Like here, if you're going to yank Grayson if he does anything short of a 1-2-3 inning, just let him go out on a high note after the sixth and give the reliever control over the inning. 

Just now, baltfan said:

The offense is different with Judge.  It’s not all about game scores. The Yankeees had good at-bats tonight.  It’s also really tough facing the best pitcher in the AL.  But agree not the most dominant game of the season. 

Judge hasn't played in forever and his just being in the lineup doesn't magically make all of these old and washed-up players great again. I'm very happy with his performance, we couldn't have asked for more, except to win this now.