Jack Flaherty acquired for Cesar Prieto, Drew Rom, and Zach Showalter

ChuckS

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's not the best they could do.

It's all they wanted to do.

I could go out and get a really nice dinner tonight.

Or I could go to Denny's.

If I got to Denny's that doesn't mean it's the best I could do.

I think you forget how great a Dennys grand slam can be :)

But good point on Norris.  I could’ve sworn he was good for us one year, whether in the reg season or playoffs.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The only player to be “upset” about losing is Showalter and he’s not enough to say no.

I don't like the idea of overpaying even if it doesn't amount to anything in the long run.

It's poor process.

Not sure who they were bidding against that they had to add a third piece.

I guess he felt he had to come away with something so he'd rather overpay a big for a marginal piece over paying for someone more likely to be a difference maker.

I bet the Cease talk stayed at a surface level.

2 minutes ago, bluedog said:

I was just at the Cardinals message board. They are pissed they got "nothing" for Flaherty. Not sure who is dancing in the streets.

Seriously.  Prieto might stick in MLB.  He’s a one trick pony and will have to hit substantially.  Rom & Showalter are long shots to to make any impact in MLB.  Good trade IMO.  We got a starter with potential upside.  Hall, Wells, Means, Fuji in pen is a substantial upgrade.  Imagine this was likely the plan all along for Hall given his set-backs earlier in the year.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Yes, before he became a starter he was very good from the pen.  But what is going on with him now? Is it something minor that rest (and less of a load) will heal, or is it something more?

Also I would point that our pen isn't very deep to begin with so we need all the help we can get. 

I’m not worried about him being able to go into the pen and be good again.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't like the idea of overpaying even if it doesn't amount to anything in the long run.

It's poor process.

Not sure who they were bidding against that they had to add a third piece.

I guess he felt he had to come away with something so he'd rather overpay a big for a marginal piece over paying for someone more likely to be a difference maker.

I bet the Cease talk stayed at a surface level.

Luckily they didn’t overpay, so you should feel fine.

• Upvote 1

When the idea of Flaherty was a hypothetical a couple weeks ago, I said I'd be okay with the move and still am. The price was a bit steeper than I'd like, but not completely insane. The real test will be to see what he looks like in an Orioles' uniform. If the coaches (or algorithms) identified anything that can be fixed/tweaked to yield better results--or at least continue the results he had in July. If so and he pitches like his July numbers the rest of the year, it's a good move. 

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Seriously.  Prieto might stick in MLB.  He’s a one trick pony and will have to hit substantially.  Rom & Showalter are long shots to to make any impact in MLB.  Good trade IMO.  We got a starter with potential upside.  Hall, Wells, Means, Fuji in pen is a substantial upgrade.  Imagine this was likely the plan all along for Hall given his set-backs earlier in the year.  

And we didn't mortgage the future for a questionable return or shake up the clubhouse to much.

We're the #1 team in the AL, we got better at the trade deadline and maintained the top farm system in the game.

Future. Bright. Shades.

Edited by bluedog
  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I mean, if things go well for Showalter, he could be in the majors in 2-3 years but it’s far more likely he becomes nothing than he comes back to bite us.

I don’t like losing him in this deal but I really just don’t care. You had to make a move and Flaherty is an upside play that allows you to put Wells in the pen, which is a boost there as well.

Its a no brainer of a move.

Don't really want to put Wells in the pen.  Maybe a week off followed by a tune-up in Bowie will set him straight and he can go back in the rotation.  Kremer seems like a nice 2 inning guy out of the pen.   I know he hasn't been bad lately but he'd probably be a lot more reliable than Baker has been in high leverage situations.

Just now, jamalshw said:

When the idea of Flaherty was a hypothetical a couple weeks ago, I said I'd be okay with the move and still am. The price was a bit steeper than I'd like, but not completely insane. The real test will be to see what he looks like in an Orioles' uniform. If the coaches (or algorithms) identified anything that can be fixed/tweaked to yield better results--or at least continue the results he had in July. If so and he pitches like his July numbers the rest of the year, it's a good move. 

He apparently has really good competitive makeup. He could benefit from the O's improved defense (Cards were #28 in DRS) and change of scenery.