Jordan Westburg 2023

interloper

3 minutes ago, Malike said:

Definitely not writing him off just yet, but he's been a horrendous defender and for a 1:1 out of college, just has some concerning things going on.

With this discussion about the struggles of Torkleson so far, it makes me appreciate the job our organization has done to develop our young draft picks. For the most part, the Orioles minor league coaches have done an excellent job getting these guys ready to perform like they have.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Back to Westburg, I do think he just has the look of a guy who’s going to have a solid, long MLB career.   He probably won’t be quite as good, but he reminds me of Ian Kinsler.  

That would be fantasic if it happens - Kinsler logged 35 WAR during his first eight seasons in Texas.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Back to Westburg, I do think he just has the look of a guy who’s going to have a solid, long MLB career.   He probably won’t be quite as good, but he reminds me of Ian Kinsler.  

That’s a great comp.  Both under rated defenders, doubles and HR power, although Kinsler more SB ability.  Looking back at his career and season stats, Kinsler had several 5+ WAR seasons in TEX. 

3 minutes ago, Say O! said:

That’s a great comp.  Both under rated defenders, doubles and HR power, although Kinsler more SB ability.  Looking back at his career and season stats, Kinsler had several 5+ WAR seasons in TEX. 

Kinsler is criminally underrated.  

I think that's an ambitious comp, but Westburg has looked really solid as a rookie.  That usually portends a good future.

3 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Yeah, he was just a good all-around player, and honestly, kind of underrated. He was the best player drafted in the 2003 draft, though he was a 17th rounder.  

Now, I’m not saying I think Westburg will be as good as Kinsler.  But his all-around game reminds me of Kinsler’s.  He can do a little bit of everything, and he’s a gamer.  

On 8/5/2023 at 3:00 PM, Frobby said:

Good comp, but I also like Palmer's comp where he compared him to Grich.  Would love for him to have a Grich-type career.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baltimorecuse said:

I think right now Westburg and Henderson are the middle infield of the future.  Unless they move Henderson to third.  Of course, they could move Westburg to third and play Ortiz in the middle.  I'd be really surprised if Ortiz factored at all this year.  

I have a pretty good feeling Jackson Holliday will anchor one of the middle infield spots in the future…