Jack Flaherty 2023

AdamK

1 minute ago, Uli2001 said:

I am old enough to remember 4-man rotations. To me 6-man rotations sound just ridiculous. I am totally opposed to it.

I can understand this viewpoint, but with our rotation being comprised of lots of young guns exceeding the most innings they've ever thrown + almost a lock for a team postseason berth at this point, would you not want to try to "preserve" what they have left for the postseason?

Or are you saying that a 6-man rotation might make them less sharp with respect to "crispness" and "momentum" in a playoff series?

20 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I love the passion but some of you all need to understand that sometimes players have bad nights.  He's had 1 really good start, 1 so so start against a really good team, and now one terrible start.  Doesn't mean he's terrible.

Yeah, just gotta chalk this up to a bad night for the pitcher against a very talented lineup. Let San Diego just get it all out that game. Flaherty will be alright. 

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

I love the passion but some of you all need to understand that sometimes players have bad nights.  He's had 1 really good start, 1 so so start against a really good team, and now one terrible start.  Doesn't mean he's terrible.

I mean the guy had a bad year and a half. A hot July didn't really change anything.

What post are you referring to? I am not seeing a single post suggesting he is terrible.

Passion is a really nice way of saying, you all are nuts and need to seek help.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, baltfan said:

I wonder if going to the six man rotation affected him?  Wouldn’t think an extra day would, but some guys do struggle with anything but the same rest every time. 

It’s a fair question. You would think they would like the extra rest but pitchers are creatures of habit and not everyone wants to break routine.

I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion just yet and I don’t think this 6 man thing is going to stick around for long but it does bear watching if this becomes a pattern with any of the pitchers. Grayson is used to it, so it shouldn’t bother him.

Edited by Sports Guy

To me, Flaherty got in trouble nibbling too much, and San Diego did a nice job of not biting on pitches that were just off the plate.   Not a good night command-wise for Flaherty and he just pitched from behind in the count far too often.  Better luck next time.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

To me, Flaherty got in trouble nibbling too much, and San Diego did a nice job of not biting on pitches that were just off the plate.   Not a good night command-wise for Flaherty and he just pitched from behind in the count far too often.  Better luck next time.  

I made it through the first inning and it wasn't hard to see that it was a bad matchup for him pitching like that. They're too good of a team, even if the record doesn't match, to nibble and expect them to go after it.

7 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I made it through the first inning and it wasn't hard to see that it was a bad matchup for him pitching like that. They're too good of a team, even if the record doesn't match, to nibble and expect them to go after it.

Yep.  And he didn’t get the low strike that Wacha was getting.    Hell be fine 

I'll forever remember 2023 as the season that the Rangers signed Scherzer and Montgomery, the Astros signed Verlander, the Phillies signed Lorenzen, and the O's signed freakin Flaherty.

The O's (Elias) either couldn't (Angelos) or wouldn't upgrade the roster when they had the #1 record in the American League, and a bunch of prospects wasting away in AAA.

Will they have the same chance next year? Can't be predicted

Will Angelos ever let them take a shot, I think that's a big negative.

2 hours ago, Finisher said:

I mean the guy had a bad year and a half. A hot July didn't really change anything.

I don’t think he had a bad year and half.  He hasn’t even pitched a full year since coming back from injury.  Last year he made 5 starts actually where he wasn’t on a low pitch count coming back from injury.  In those 5 starts he went 5 innings or more in all 5 and gave up 3 runs or less in 4 out of the 5.   This year he has made 23 starts and given up 3 runs or less in 16.  He has went 5 innings or more in 18 of those 23 games.  I think some people thought we were getting this top of rotation guy because of years past before injury and his first start.  However the organization is not expecting him to be an ace but a guy that can give you a chance to win the game on most nights.  If he gives you a chance to win 2 out of 3 starts or better down the stretch I will take it.