Billy Cook 2023

MurphDogg

I am breaking the seal and making this thread.

Cook has 8 homers for the Baysox since July 9th including 2 today.

He has 16 homers on the season with a .256/.322/.469 line. He also has 22 steals in 24 attempts.

His 83 strikeouts in 320 at-bats is probably the biggest knock against him, along with his age (24).

He was a 10th round pick in 2021 as a senior out of Pepperdine.

Will be interesting to see whether he gets a chance to play everyday at AAA next season.

Edited by MurphDogg

@RZNJ will be thrilled with this thread. ;) 

He's probably worth putting on the bubble to watch at this point, but I have concerns over his ability to hit older, more advanced pitchers who he tends to struggle against.

But, he's outperformed every college bat drafted by the Orioles that year not named Connor Norby and Colton Cowser, so there's that. 

Oh, there was a question about defense. I'll need to watch him closer, but from what I remember, the arm is a bit short in the outfield and he's still working on his jumps though he has decent foot speed on the go. He's not a good defender at 2B.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

@RZNJ will be thrilled with this thread. ;) 

He's probably worth putting on the bubble to watch at this point, but I have concerns over his ability to hit older, more advanced pitchers who he tends to struggle against.

But, he's outperformed every college bat drafted by the Orioles that year not named Connor Norby and Colton Cowser, so there's that. 

Oh, there was a question about defense. I'll need to watch him closer, but from what I remember, the arm is a bit short in the outfield and he's still working on his jumps though he has decent foot speed on the go. He's not a good defender at 2B.

I see him as sort of a Hudson Haskin level prospect.  He’s got sone tools but maybe no carrying tool.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I see him as sort of a Hudson Haskin level prospect.  He’s got sone tools but maybe no carrying tool.  

Apparently Coby Mayo in the post above disagrees. 😂. Seriously though, I have zero idea as I have never watched him and have read little. Hope Coby is right though!

• 1 month later...

Despite being “old” (will be 25 to start next season) and striking out too frequently (111 in about 450 PA), Cook hit his 20th HR and stole bases 29 and  30 tonight. So a 20/30 season for him.

I thought that was worth noting. I don’t care who you are or what your age is, that’s quite an accomplishment that not many people can say they’ve been able to do. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

Despite being “old” (will be 25 to start next season) and striking out too frequently (111 in about 450 PA), Cook hit his 20th HR and stole bases 29 and  30 tonight. So a 20/30 season for him.

I thought that was worth noting. I don’t care who you are or what your age is, that’s quite an accomplishment that not many people can say they’ve been able to do. 

Kudos to Billy!  His homework this offseason will be developing a better 2-strike approach/swing.  Elias' homework this offseason will be convincing teams his 20/30 season is meaningful as a throw-in.

• Upvote 2

2022 (A+): .221/.298/.422, 31.8% K rate

2023 (AA): .261/.428/.473, 24.0% K rate

That’s excellent progress in a year.  No reason he shouldn’t start 2024 at Norfolk.  

He not only steals a good number of bases, but he’s successful at a high rate: 86% (25/29) last year and 91% (30/33) this year.  I also noticed that he’s only grounded into a DP 8 times in the last two years combined.

• Upvote 1