Friday, August 4: Buck and the Mets come to town

SteveA

1 minute ago, Chavez Ravine said:

I was surprised that he is only 67. It seems like he has been 75 for the past 30 years. Still, I can think of other things to do besides rebuilding the Mets.

I don't see Buck wanting to oversee a rebuild, but that's not 100%.  The wildcard here is Cohen, he's willing to do what it takes and so he'll probably listen a lot to Buck.  Buck probably has a lot of pull in this situation.

He also knows that it's probably the end of the line for him to get a WS ring.  I don't see him picking up another managing gig after this one.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't see Buck wanting to oversee a rebuild, but that's not 100%.  The wildcard here is Cohen, he's willing to do what it takes and so he'll probably listen a lot to Buck.  Buck probably has a lot of pull in this situation.

He also knows that it's probably the end of the line for him to get a WS ring.  I don't see him picking up another managing gig after this one.

Good point. This is it for him. As bad as they look right now and they look bad, I don’t think you can rule out a playoff run next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

why not Baumann to start the 8th too.?...Cano has been struggling...

I agree.   Not because Cano has been struggling.   But Baumann is working the 2nd straight day so he's already not pitching tomorrow, and he hasn't thrown many pitches. 

Cano pitched yesterday so I don't want to use him today, to keep him available for tomorrow.

As long as it's 4+ runs we aren't going to use Cano/Bautista anyway.   Maybe an inning for Cionel after Baumann is done, or when there are lefties due in the Mets order.

And a chance to add some more runs!