Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is good info.  I still don't think we're getting the whole story here, though, I don't think that statement was enough to get him suspended indefinitely.  But picking up more national assignments sounds like something that's frowned upon.

Melanie Newman had an assignment with Peacock last year.

Heard there is a little more to  the story. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is good info.  I still don't think we're getting the whole story here, though, I don't think that statement was enough to get him suspended indefinitely.  But picking up more national assignments sounds like something that's frowned upon.

I would place blame on the Orioles for structuring Brown's contract in such a way that he's able to take on some national assignments during the baseball season.

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Perhaps. Who knows? I was told that was the reason by a very good source. Either way, it's just all so damn goofy but yet, it's like we've been here before. 

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Melanie Newman had an assignment with Peacock last year.

Heard there is a little more to  the story. 

That's fine, seeing as Melanie Newman isn't the A1 broadcaster.  She could take as many Peacock games and other assignments as she wants, that's fine.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

Unbelievable...well not really...but wow. Sell the damn team.

Well as I said before John doesn’t own the team, he just runs it.   This is very unfortunate and won’t build any goodwill towards the fan base.  If you don’t like him getting National gigs then deal with that as you may.  Tell him to make a choice, they have that right.  Don’t suspend a guy for a nonsense reason like this.  

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I would place blame on the Orioles for structuring Brown's contract in such a way that he's able to take on some national assignments during the baseball season.

Correct.

Kind of like a company who has an "unlimited vacation time" policy and then someone gets hired who wants to put that to the test.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Perhaps. Who knows? I was told that was the reason by a very good source. Either way, it's just all so damn goofy but yet, it's like we've been here before. 

It is goofy.

Wild thought:  Kevin Brown is a bit of a jerk himself who is pissed at the Angelos family for not allowing him to take more national gigs in order to up his profile and make more of a name for himself.

Nah...not possible.

1 hour ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Wondering if there's any linkage between whatever is going on with KB and Dan Connolly's sudden and quiet disappearance from the Athletic. 

JA sending a clear message for any media-types who cross his invisible lines.

Answer: no.  

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think he's built himself up quite the resume to be disliked outside of just being Peter Angelos' spoiled, never accomplished anything but being a rich guy start. He's done one thing right so far. Hire Elias. 

But this was such a correct choice it honestly will dwarf any stupid plays he makes with the broadcast people.  Give me playoffs year after year and I will get used to whoever they give the play by play to.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Anyone have a link to video of when KB said that on the air? This is just so bizarre with what has been described so far.

It has to be the end of the series finale (link may need mlb.tv subscription):

https://www.mlb.com/tv/g717291/ve9dad385-ad92-4db2-9d13-7eeabd960bb8?affiliateId=GAMEDAY#game=717291,tfs=20230723_174000,game_state=live

"And the Orioles take what has eluded them for so long. A series win at the Trop! Their first in six years leads to a two game lead in the American League East." 

Not much there. Has to be a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Correct.

Kind of like a company who has an "unlimited vacation time" policy and then someone gets hired who wants to put that to the test.

It is goofy.

Wild thought:  Kevin Brown is a bit of a jerk himself who is pissed at the Angelos family for not allowing him to take more national gigs in order to up his profile and make more of a name for himself.

Nah...not possible.

Jump to conclusions much? I don't know Brown, never met him, so I don't know if he's a jerk or not, but the people i do know that know him have never said anything bad about him. But we have a long line of behavior from JA. I mean, you can have any opinion you want, and if you want to stand on that hill defending feel free, but this has all the makings of an Angelos move.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Aristotelian said:

It has to be the end of the series finale (link may need mlb.tv subscription):

https://www.mlb.com/tv/g717291/ve9dad385-ad92-4db2-9d13-7eeabd960bb8?affiliateId=GAMEDAY#game=717291,tfs=20230723_174000,game_state=live

"And the Orioles take what has eluded them for so long. A series win at the Trop! Their first in six years leads to a two game lead in the American League East." 

Not much there. Has to be a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation. 

With Brown's suspension becoming public knowledge today it should force JA's hand to resovle this situation. Either Kevin Brown is back calling the Astros series this week or his Orioles announcing career is over.

And we get the pleasure of Scott Garceau or Melanie Newman on the call if the Orioles clinch the AL East this year.

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Heard a little of the Mets broadcast this weekend and it Angelos was the owner would have got rid of all of them. Praising the Orioles and critical of the Mets at times.

NY has a tradition of tough media.   Cant do that stuff in Baltimore I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

The Angelos family chased Jon Miller from Baltimore. If Kevin Brown leaves the Orioles I wouldn't blame him in the least. First, in my opinion, he's the best young play by play man in the business...but more significantly, he is a hard working, dedicated, and energetic voice of the franchise. If Kevin leaves, trust me , its the fans loss.

Definitely reminded me of the Jon Miller scenario for not being "homer" enough for Peter Angelos. 

• Upvote 1