Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

Just now, Yardball85 said:

Rumor has it when an announcer mentions BJ Ryan, John Angelos sheds a solitary tear. Every time. 

It’s really remarkable. I mean what kind of a clown is this guy? 

What else does he require? All employees tell him how wonderful he is? His wife apparently can get drunk and take selfies in the middle of a broadcast but wear team gear off the field you are in trouble. 

Just gonna go out on an unpopular limb here real quick (downvote away) but I actually think MN has gotten much more comfortable in her job and I don’t have any complaints. She and the other PBPs just really are overshadowed by how much better the broadcasts are with KB and Palmer/McDonald IMO.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

It’s really remarkable. I mean what kind of a clown is this guy? 

What else does he require? All employees tell him how wonderful he is? His wife apparently can get drunk and take selfies in the middle of a broadcast but wear team gear off the field you are in trouble. 

I'm pretty sure the dictat is they all must be wearing team clothing ON camera.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ThisIsBirdland said:

Just gonna go out on an unpopular limb here real quick (downvote away) but I actually think MN has gotten much more comfortable in her job and I don’t have any complaints. She and the other PBPs just really are overshadowed by how much better the broadcasts are with KB and Palmer/McDonald IMO.

She is really, really good at interviews and pre and post game commentary.

• Like 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t understand the team apparel thing? 

I think it’s what someone else said. They have to wear Orioles gear on camera. That would make sense why KB stopped wearing full suits and now is always in an orange Orioles polo

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So Melanie Newman wears Orioles gear in public and that’s against the rules?  How pathetic. 

Can only imagine the work environment in the warehouse. 

I thought that at first but now I think it means that Melanie wasn't wearing team gear while announcing. Could be wrong.

https://awfulannouncing.com/mlb/kevin-brown-baltimore-orioles-masn-suspension.html

"Update: The Athletic’s Brittany Ghiroli confirmed AA’s reporting that Brown was taken off the air over his comments ahead of that final Rays’ game, and added that he was only on radio on the Phillies’ series thanks to another issue. “Multiple sources briefed on the decision say ownership has enacted a new policy mandating that their broadcasters wear only team gear when on-air, which has rankled some. That snafu lead to Brown filling in on radio after his comment in the Rays series because another broadcaster got in trouble. Broadcasters have also been reprimanded previously for mentioning past Orioles players who are no longer with the team.”

Edited by FlaO'sFan

2 minutes ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

Caveat that I only watch a limited amount of pre/post game programming because I live out of area but from what I've seen, I think Melanie is pretty good doing sideline stuff and handling pre/post game shows.

She's atrocious as a PBP, but we all have our strengths and weaknesses.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Hallas said:

The media's hated on the Angeloses rightfully for like, 20 years.  It never bothered them before.  I don't know why it would start now.

Sure but it can get more concerted like it did with Snyder. There were substantive issues that came to light there beyond just a generally sour attitude toward him, but the media plays a role in uncovering those issues. Edit: also I would add that it might not have bothered Peter but could bother John.

In a bittersweet way, the O's being on the brink of sustained contention probably gives the Angelos family a lifeline. The exacerbating factor in DC was that the team has been miserable for awhile and has no hope on the field.

On the other hand, maybe the team being good increases its value and their money problems incentivize them to sell.

We can dream.

Edited by Alasdaire