Kevin Brown absence explained?

Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Baltimorecuse said:

If you don't know the context how can you say that? 

Here's my bottom line... We know the primary context. if you believe that the overwhelming amount of reporting on this event is reliable and largely true, then there's really no other way to paint this than an embarrassing black eye for the Orioles organization. No amount of juicy details about a building feud between JA and KB would change that. Everything we know about who Peter Angelos is and who Kevin Brown is supports this.

We know enough now to the point that withholding judgment on Peter is just not a reasonable take.

I believe the growing number of extremely reliable reporting on this incident that ALL say that the suspension is primarily about the "incident" in Tampa. 

13 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

The optimistic response to this is that plenty of teams have won on the field despite complete incompetence and buffoonery in the owner's box. The Reds won a World Series and Marge Schott was a Nazi sympathizing trainwreck. The A's won three straight titles with Charlie O. Finley as the owner. Talent is talent. 

I appreciate this response. It's true. I don't really think the 2023 team is going to be affected in any real way, so that's nice, and something to cling to. Eventually I will be excited about this season again. It would go a long way if there was some kind of consequence or justice, but it's silly to hope for that. 

What this does, though, is plant the little seed of doubt into the players' minds. Don't think Boras isn't out there knowing full well that JA is a psychopath and steering his clients elsewhere if there are good options. It's just one more thing to overcome if you're the Orioles. Elias has done a good job overcoming a lot of the prior stigmas and competitive disadvantages and refreshing the image of the Orioles. But there's one thing he can't change and that's the biggest thing that matters in the end. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

I appreciate this response. It's true. I don't really think the 2023 team is going to be affected in any real way, so that's nice, and something to cling to. Eventually I will be excited about this season again. It would go a long way if there was some kind of consequence or justice, but it's silly to hope for that. 

What this does, though, is plant the little seed of doubt into the players' minds. Don't think Boras isn't out there knowing full well that JA is a psychopath and steering his clients elsewhere if there are good options. It's just one more thing to overcome if you're the Orioles. Elias has done a good job overcoming a lot of the prior stigmas and competitive disadvantages and refreshing the image of the Orioles. But there's one thing he can't change and that's the biggest thing that matters in the end. 

Boros is steering his guys to the place where they will make the most money. Pure and simple. 

Most players could care less about the owner. They care about their teammates, coaches and manager. I don't think the rest of this stuff matters to them. Players aren't going, "Man, I don't want to play on the good, young, up and coming talented team because the owner was mean to their announcer."

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

I'm not a Psychiatrist BUT if i was one i would probably diagnose JA as a narcissist. It's a big jump to call the guy a psychopath for suspending the play to play guy over nothing and telling a few lies, LOL    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Yardball85 said:

Re Manny, I think the broadcasters will be allowed to mention him obviously, since we are playing the Padres, but won't be allowed to talk about him re: the Orioles.  They will probably talk about him like they'd talk about Trent Grisham.  Which of course is stupid and asinine, but that is what I expect w/r/t Machado next week.

But I've heard them say Manny's last name when they have mentioned that Dean Kremer was traded for Manny.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Boros is steering his guys to the place where they will make the most money. Pure and simple. 

Most players could care less about the owner. They care about their teammates, coaches and manager. I don't think the rest of this stuff matters to them. Players aren't going, "Man, I don't want to play on the good, young, up and coming talented team because the owner was mean to their announcer."

That's why the players all have agents.  

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Which extremely depressing.   Keeping both guys isn't happening but am hoping for one.    Adley/Gunnar/Holliday will be an incredible top of the order and I can see every one of them out of here when they are eligible to leave.   Sucks being a fan of a small market team.  

49 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Now, I'm pissed because the Angelos family does not deserve any of the good vibes and recognition for something that they didn't have any real part in other than owning a team at the right time.

Exactly. I hate to think that any of the dollars I generate as a fan through tickets, subscriptions, and ad revenue goes into the pockets of this family. Usually I can bracket that and ignore it, but incidents like this just remind you where your dollars are going.

The most disheartening thing in this thread are the posts from the now banned @2001OriolesFan.  That person has to be either John Angelos or someone who he is instructing to counter what is going on here.  No one would take that stance as just a fan of this team.  Calling Kevin Brown a DIva, etc.  I know there are people who just troll message boards and take on the opposite point of view but that didn’t seem like that.  It really to me puts a sour taste to what has been a great season.  I have defended John Angelos here because you can’t blame him for the things his father did .  This just seems to be history repeating itself.