John Means pitching for Bowie tonight?

ace20251

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What is the move we make to add Means?  60 day IL’ing Vavra, or Bautista, to clear a spot on the 40 man?  Optioning one of Hall, Irvin, or Khreibel, for the 26 man move?

I’m guessing it’s Vavra and Hall. We save the Bautista 60 day IL in case we need to add someone to the 40 man for the playoffs. For example Holliday or a 3rd C. MLB would have to approve such a move. That could be why we’re slow playing the Bautista injury news because MLB would almost certainly approve any move regarding a Bautista 60 day IL. Leaves the door open for Jackson. 

For the 26 man I would guess Krehbiel. Hall has looked OK with flashes of great. 

To make room for Means, I would put Jorge Lopez on the "IL" or see if you can sneak him through waivers and put him in AAA. I don't believe he is eligible for the postseason anyway.  At this point, might as well give reps to those that can help us win a playoff game. 

Its crazy to think that we essentially have another MLB Bullpen at AAA right now with Baker, Baumann, Vespi, Akin, Zimmerman, Krehbiel, Wells ,and Voth

Our Bullpen Depth is really good; just missing that shutdown closer with Felix out. I still wonder if Flaherty wouldn't thrive in a closer role

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

For the 26 man I would guess Krehbiel. Hall has looked OK with flashes of great. 

And that’s why Hall probably stays because of upside in a pen that could use it with Bautista down. I think we know what we have in Khreibel and Irvin. So it’s a righty bullpen arm versus the multiple innings that Irvin could eat.

25 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Plus if McDermott keeps pitching like he has he will be ready or close to ready for a call up to the majors in the rotation.   And Hall will no doubt be stretched out in the spring as a starter.  6 years of control for both those guys.

Those things are possible pluses, but we’ll see if they become established major league starters.  Both of them could be bullpen guys.  If we’re getting to that, we still control Cano for 5 years, Bautista for 4 (one of which may be down the drain if he needs TJ surgery, Perez for 3, not to mention a bunch of other guys.  

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Its crazy to think that we essentially have another MLB Bullpen at AAA right now with Baker, Baumann, Vespi, Akin, Zimmerman, Krehbiel, Wells ,and Voth

Our Bullpen Depth is really good; just missing that shutdown closer with Felix out. I still wonder if Flaherty wouldn't thrive in a closer role

I've had the same take on the Norfolk pen (also McFarland), espec. given their MLB experience... but on closer inspection I would call that list (except for Wells) AAAA more than MLB quality. 

BTW that's an intriguing idea of Flaherty as closer.

22 hours ago, scarey1999 said:

I know it’s a Means thread, but Cowser has not looked very good in CF last night or tonight. Either misplayed or took poor routes on several balls hit his way. 

I remember Cowser taking some poor routes when he was up with the O's too. The coaches probably need to work with him on that.

11 hours ago, now said:

I've had the same take on the Norfolk pen (also McFarland), espec. given their MLB experience... but on closer inspection I would call that list (except for Wells) AAAA more than MLB quality. 

BTW that's an intriguing idea of Flaherty as closer.

I don't know; I think we just have really good depth so it appears as AAAA to us because we have the 2nd most wins in MLB and are more loaded than we can remember.

I think all the players I mentioned could be in over 50% of most bullpens in MLB and perform well.

On 9/7/2023 at 9:09 AM, ScGO's said:

To make room for Means, I would put Jorge Lopez on the "IL" or see if you can sneak him through waivers and put him in AAA. I don't believe he is eligible for the postseason anyway.  At this point, might as well give reps to those that can help us win a playoff game. 

I like the idea .. at least try and see .. He pitched out of pen just last year for St Louis 

“However, Flaherty showed he could adapt to a relief role Tuesday night. He entered the game in the seventh with the score 7-7 after the Cardinals scored four runs in the top of the inning to tie it.

Pitching in a high-leverage situation, Flaherty kept the score even.

After giving up a leadoff single to Ke’Bryan Hayes, Flaherty got Ben Gamel to ground into a double play. Flaherty then struck out Tyler Heineman to end the inning.

Working in relief for just the fourth time in his career was no big deal for Flaherty. He says it also won’t be a big deal if being used out of the bullpen is his role for the postseason.

“As a starter, (the) goal is to get in, throw strikes, get ahead, put up a zero,” Flaherty said. “No different than coming out as a starter trying to put up a shutdown inning after we put up some runs.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnperrotto/2022/10/05/st-louis-cardinals-looking-for-important-outs-from-jack-flaherty-in-postseason/amp/

9 minutes ago, tom_o'malley said:

Pretty sure Means will be optioned today to AAA. Heard he has options left. No reason to bring him up until earlier next week since he can’t pitch for a few days. But he will need to be added to the 40 today I believe 

That thought never even crossed my mind. I suppose that is a possibility if he does have options. I wasn't aware that he had options though.

6 minutes ago, tom_o'malley said:

Pretty sure Means will be optioned today to AAA. Heard he has options left. No reason to bring him up until earlier next week since he can’t pitch for a few days. But he will need to be added to the 40 today I believe 

He’s already on the 40 man